Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    We are not sure at all what has been possible in the past. So I'm hoping that the next conversation with the principal might shed some light. We do hope for some form of exemption so that she can use the time to do her own music practice or theory work, etc. We also thought about a different instrument, but DD already plays two instruments and sings at a pretty high level, and she doesn't want to pick up another instrument just so that she can participate at school...

F
    F
    I would assume you thought about it, but how are you planning on working out the supervision for when she would be exempted from class? That might be the biggest issue. If you knew of at least a couple other kids who would/could go too and maybe be watched together by someone, that would give you a lot more leverage. It seems unreasonable to me to expect they'd find another teacher to supervise one child - however, it never hurts to ask and I think it would really depend on the situation.
    Or would they trust her enough to go alone and practice? That would make it hard to deny it if she didn't need supervision and there was a space - not like reason gets through in school negotiations :-). Good luck!

M
    M
    Originally Posted by playandlearn
    We also thought about a different instrument, but DD already plays two instruments and sings at a pretty high level, and she doesn't want to pick up another instrument just so that she can participate at school...

I can see my DD saying this. I might feel differently in the future but right now, I plan on telling her to pick up viola so she can learn to read the alto clef (and I can tell her all the violist jokes. )

Given that your DD is getting a rich music experience outside of school, why bother with the school program at all? It's not required, is it?

P
    OP Offline
    P
    FruityDragons: we will ask the school about supervision. One teacher told me that DD can't stay in the classroom when others go to the instruction class exactly because of the supervision issue. DD is quite self sufficient, but I don't know what the school needs/is required to do.

Mana: DS actually thought about viola for exactly this reason, but he didn't go for it, because it would take him a couple of days to read alto clef fluently, then there is the rest of the school year. :-)

P
    P
    When my DD can't participate in Gym period, she goes to the library to work on homework or anything educational.

Library usually has a librarian and should satisfy the supervision requirement.

P
    OP Offline
    P
    As far as we know it is required. That's why we want to ask for potential exemption or some sort of individualized assignment. :-(

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Dude: as far as we know it is required. So we need to ask for either individualized assignment or (don't know if it's possible) exemption.

Peter: Yep, we will bring up this possibility. Thanks.

D
    D
    My dd's school offered her time in the office during music class. The secretary is always in there. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 04/16/24 10:53 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM