Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    N
    N
    When my 6th grader took the ACT, he was in the first half of Algebra and had not really had geometry. He did very well. Your son will have had what many high school juniors have had or are finishing up when they take the ACT.

L
    Labmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    So tomorrow is the day for DD to take the ACT test. We did a little prep(taking the sample test, but not it one sitting), so I think she knows what to expect. It will be interesting to see if she makes it through. She did fine with the English and Reading portions right off the bat, freaked out over the Science portion until I pointed out that it was really a reading test and you just needed to know how to infer the data, so I think that will be OK, but the Math will be her biggest hurdle. She has had no exposure to much of the material, so my best advise was to target the ones she knew how to do, make an educated guess at the ones she had a some knowledge of, and make a pretty design with the ovals of the rest :-) As long as her perfectionism doesn't take over and eat up her time she should make it through without any scars! Hoping for a good day and attitude in the morning!

Last edited by Labmom; 04/17/15 06:11 PM.
    D
    D
    Good luck to her!

L
    Labmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Well, we both survived :-) She said it was harder than the practice tests, but was overall confident about everything, with the exception of the math....but she said she did make a nice spiral pattern with the remaining ovals! She met other NUMATS test takers there and that really helped. Something to be said about safety in numbers and not be the only "little" kid there. At least she knows she can rise to the challenge of taking the test, and putting herself out there. This is a big win for her regardless of the scores.

N
    N
    Good for her! It is nice to see other kids your age taking it, isn't it? My son was most nervous about being the youngest (he was familiar with the test-taking site, and he took it the same day as his HS Jr brother), but walking in he saw a couple kids he knew from class and a couple from activities in surrounding towns.

Funny about making a pattern...our HS counselors tell us that on one test that "doesn't count", some students will make not-so-nice designs with the ovals. Sigh. Teens.

Our middle school does an end-of-year awards event, and among the awards is a certificate if you took the ACT or SAT through NUMATS. They don't care about the score, the award is for the reaching.

Congrats on your daughter stepping up with a happy attitude! I hope you went for a fun lunch after smile

D
    D
    Originally Posted by NotherBen
    It is nice to see other kids your age taking it, isn't it?

Mine was definitely the only talent search kid at that particular site. It was a little strange, but he was OK.

Our middle school does an end-of-year awards event, and among the awards is a certificate if you took the ACT or SAT through NUMATS. They don't care about the score, the award is for the reaching.

What an excellent idea! This also makes it seem more "normal" that kids would do out of grade testing. In our district, this gesture would make a big difference in encouraging parents to support early testing.

DeeDee

L
    Labmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L

Congrats on your daughter stepping up with a happy attitude! I hope you went for a fun lunch after smile

That is a great idea! And, yes, we did whatever she wanted after the test, which was lunch and shopping!

L
    Labmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    So, we received her scores already and she did pretty well I think. Her Composite was a 22, individual tests were English 23, Reading 24, Math 17, Science 22. They were all about what she did on the practice tests except the reading, which she scored a 30 on the practice test. Not a lot of info out there for 6th grade scores.

Not really sure what I will be doing with the information. I think they will qualify her for several of the talent search programs, and they may (or may not) be useful if we pursue a grade skip. We have had just horrible school experiences the last two years, so I will be homeschooling her next year, and we may consider grade skipping her into high school the following year.

Now I just need to figure out what her curriculum will look like next year with this new bit of information! She informed me she will NOT be taking it again until she has to in high school :-)

N
    N
    You said earlier you signed up through NUMATS, so they will provide you with all kinds of information comparing scores by grade level and even gender. We received a full paper report back in the dark ages (5'years ago) but there is also the NUMATS Toolbox they should give you access to, to check the scores.

Congratulations smile DS took it again in 9th grade! then 8 months late the school offered it as a "practice" without the writing.

M
    M
    Those are excellent scores - she scored higher than the average high school senior! Compared to last year's 2015 statistical summary from NUMATS, she's at the 83%ile overall with a composite of 22, English(23) at the 84%ile, Reading(24) at the 85%ile, Math(17) at the 59%ile, and Science(22) at the 82%ile when compared to other 6th graders who took the test. I think that's especially good when you consider that there are two subsets at work - first, the kids who qualify for the talent search, and second, those who choose to take the ACT instead of the EXPLORE in 6th grade. I'm guessing that those are the kids who have already scored very highly on the EXPLORE or feel very proficient/prepped. I also think it's great that her lowest (albeit still very good) score is in math, because that's just a matter of exposure. Right now, she is securely over the college readiness benchmarks in English and Reading, one point away in science, and just needs a little work in math. Pretty impressive for a 6th grader. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM