Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 133 of 268 1 2 131 132 133 134 135 267 268
    F
    F
    DD13, 8th grade got a B in her College English Freshman Comp. class. She had to learn what many of us had to learn when we hit college... Her first essays were not passing material, as she wrote them and turned them in with little work. She also got an A in her Algebra II class..but what was really great is that she got an A on the district wide comprehensive mid-term. She went from a sixth grade Algebra I class self taught, no finals etc. to high school Geometry and now high school Algebra II and she has struggled with the comprehensive district wide mid-terms and finals. The other reason that I like it is that I feel more comfortable with her comprehension of the material and her acceleration. I find myself not always so sure we have made the right decisions. YIPEEE

H
    H
    DD3mo has been pretty alert since birth.

I was playfully asking her where was her brother, she promptly looked in his direction. I "tested" her a couple more times, and she did it every single time.

I am (easily) impressed.

The womb raider is now 1 year old.

I gave her a bottle yesterday and she did not want it. So I put it down in the back bedroom and carried her into the kitchen.

A few hours later she left the kitchen with a sense of purpose, crawled down the hall, up two flights of stairs, and went right to her bottle by the armoire.

K
    kyu Offline
    K
    We've always known our DS was above average but only recently found out he's in the EG range...so now I feel like I've found a home here where I can tell others about the things he does without getting a crazy look back! Our recent brag - he (6y) along with his sister (4y) know all the presidents and the preamble to the constitution and have done for over a year. He also knows most of the bill of rights and spends his time reading the constitution. Funny part was when he told me that he wanted to be the youngest president and asked how old he would have to be to be able to run as president. I told him he needed to be 35yrs old, to which he replied, "Not unless I make an amendment to the constitution!"
    Way too funny especially when we are totally not into politics!

Great stuff, people. I'm impressed by the womb raider's ability to take the steps without fear or mishap as much as by her memory.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    is this where I can say how thrilled I am that Butter's Christmas wants included a magnifying glass, binoculars, a Chemistry set (we got the Thames and Konos C500 to start), TWO guitars (electric and acoustic), Legos (NOT a particular set please, she wants to invent her own stuff), a dictionary and thesaurus as well as a French/English dictionary and a plethora of advanced art supplies like watercolor pencils, oil pastels and a really nice set of drawing pencils?

Of course, now Chops (the husband) has thrown out his back and Butter is not so patiently awaiting his recovery so he can explore the chem set with her, lol!

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    CMK-you give the rest of us hope! I am both thrilled and terrified of what the future holds for Butter (and let's not even go there with The Diva yet...) but I know it will be a wonderful, exciting journey

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    M
    M
    Out of the blue, DS10 decided to develop a proof for the Pythagorean theorem last night before bed. And after about 20 minutes he developed one that was very elegant. While I have encouraged his math ability, I never taught him any proofs so I'm not quite sure where he picked it up.

It wasn't a unique proof as I learned later from an Internet search, but it was his original work. For those that are interested, it is quite similar to Proof #4 on the following page: //www.cut-the-knot.org/pythagoras/index.shtml

U
    U
    DS3 appears to have found his "thing" (other than chess), at least for now--ocean science. This started with one read of a Magic Schoolbus book and has taken off like gangbusters with this just in the past week or two. Today he ran into an adult friend who also happens to be very interested in the ocean and I listened with amazement and amusement as DS brought up the following and discussed them with great verve: the eating habits of the giant squid, the definition of the intertidal zone, the depth of the Marianas trench, the high pressure under the ocean, the abyssal zone, the differences between a sperm whale and a great blue whale, the average size of animals in the deepest ocean, underwater volcanoes and their role...I could go on. It actually would have made an excellent DYS application video. ;)It was all the more awesome because his conversational companion was just as into it as he was and treated him like a peer.

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/10/12 09:23 AM.
    U
    U
    Have to add this one:

DS3: I wish we could catch a giant squid.
    DH: I don't know what we would do with a giant squid.
    DS3: Bring it back for scientific analysis!

Page 133 of 268 1 2 131 132 133 134 135 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM