Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 365 guests, and 47 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    My niece will be graduating soon with an elementary education degree. It struck me this morning that she likely (based on the state she's in) has had no or little exposure to gifted education. I was thinking of sending her a book about working with gifted students but am not sure what to send.

FWIW, she is very enthusiastic about becoming a teacher and I am not at all worried that she'll be offended. She doesn't have that type of personality and has been grateful for other education books we've sent.

C
    C
    Prufrock press has many. I can't tell you which I would get. Just thought you might like to browse there. They are very helpful you could shoot them an email. Also a nation deceived and the new follow up report.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Oh, great idea about Nation Deceived and Nation Empowered!

R
    R
    I wouldn't focus explicitly on gifted ed... I would give her John Holt's "How Children Learn" and "How Children Fail"... if she can grok a more democratic form of education that will allow her to respond better to gifted and non-gifted kids alike.

Last edited by raptor_dad; 04/15/15 09:05 AM.
    I would give her one that explains the intensities or excitabilities that gt kids have - there is a good ones that explain Dabrowski's ideas and really get to the fact that the kid can't help the way they react to the world, but can be taught how to manage it more successfully.
    Another good one would be about differentiation on the classroom - this isn't necessarily written for the gifted kid, but there really is little taught about how to actually differentiate in education classes - they just tell you to do it with out giving good examples of how it could be done.

T
    T
    Why Don't Students Like School by Daniel Willingam. This is to counter some of the nonsense she surely has picked up in Ed school.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Another very practical topic that has negligible coverage in many, if not most, elementary ed programs is classroom management (which is odd, since it is an essential tool for any teacher of more than two students). If that's the case here, Jones & Jones, "Comprehensive Classroom Management," is a classic text.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    D
    D

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Great suggestions! Thank you. For those of you who suggested not giving a book about gifted learners, what's your thinking? I am assuming she will have had a lot of classes on more "typical" learners.

R
    R
    Education shouldn't be a zero-sum game. Ideally, education should be about meeting kids where they are at and moving them forward. If something allows a teacher to do that, it doesn't matter if the kid is delayed, normal, or advanced in any given domain. I suggested democratic education books for that goal. Others suggested more cognitively focused books. Lots of ways to support all kids... including gifted kids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM