Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 122 of 268 1 2 120 121 122 123 124 267 268
    F
    F
    Congrats LoriH, You have taught him to persevere and keep on going...hard lessons to learn under best of circumstances! Like hearing what you have accomplished gives me hope for my little one!

A
    A
    That's awesome, Lori!

I asked DS (almost 2.5) "where, between the ground and the clouds, do you think the sky starts?" (I was having a painterly moment, 'k).

He paused, looked, squinted a little. "The sky has no beginning" he says.

Now if he'd only said "It doesn't start," that would have been cute enough, but no, he HAS to say it poetically. Little squirt!

Ok, because I can't resist, two somewhat less brag-worthy stories... I tried to delete them, but I CAN'T.

Then there was the joke he made about someone's shirt which is sufficiently too complex for me to actually explain here, but suffice it do say it depended upon the marital law section of a 1000 year old code of laws I happen to make random reference to here and there, the fact that that code is no longer in effect, and the gender of the kid in the shirt. Um. Yes, it was a dirty joke, now that you ask. And yes, all the adults around DID make me explain it. Whereupon it became clear he _knew_ I was going to have to explain it! Little Squirt!

Meanwhile, he has moved his number-stuckness to 7. For a long time he was making it clear enough he understood fairly big numbers, but couldn't say "three," which lead to some confusion when enumerating. Now, he just refuses to acknowledge that "seven" is a number name... and says "eleven" instead, but then if he's counting more than 11 things, he goes back to 8 after 11, and looks increasingly confused each time he loops. Predictably, people have been setting him up for this, which comes out being incredibly cute -- which has led, predictably, to him counting EVERYTHING IN SIGHT whenever he thinks he might be about to get in trouble. Lil Squirt!

-Mich (who might, maybe, just possibly, be a little bit taken by the kid)

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Mr W really likes the Muppet movie trailer because of the song, "We built this city (on rock and roll.)"

He got DW to download the song and he listens to it in the car on the way to school

At the movies on Friday, right after the Muppets preview, he belted the chorus out perfectly. At first, I thought it would disturb everyone and almost stopped him.

But everyone laughed and some people clapped.

I
    I
    I really want to post here. I only know this stuff is somewhat ahead (according to baby books.) I have had some other people remark that she seems very advanced. I don't really tell them this stuff, though. I want to tell someone besides DH!

DD will be 9 months in a week. I can come up with at least 25-30 words and commands that I know for certain she understands (commands - come here, put that there, wheres the noun?, find the, give that to me, throw the ball, go get the, turn the page, clap, etc.), but she still is only saying mama for me and "mabwa" for milk and for when she wants to drink my water out of my glass.

Oh, and she signed "milk" the other day (The same day she finally clapped and showed me she knows the word clap without me clapping) and has signed "potty" before when I was taking her to the potty for awhile.

She is almost walking completely alone and walks across the room occasionally. She understands how to put shapes in a shape sorter. She likes to take my glasses off my face and last night I said "Put them back on" and she attempted to put them back on my face! Of course, her fine motor skills make it difficult for her to gets the shapes in / put my glasses on, but she does try. When I ask her to put puzzle pieces back down, or show her how to stack a block, she tries to drop the block or piece down where it goes, but isn't capable yet of getting it where she wants it.

Last night, she dragged her shapes book off her toy shelf and made me read it to her 8 or 9 times in the row. I'd tell her the name of the shape, then she'd turn the page. She let me name all the shapes on the last page, then made me start over again.

The other day I lifted the tray off the high chair and she proceeded to turn around and back down the high chair like she backs off our bed. I taught her how to back off the bed. I never taught her how to back down a high chair (I did have to catch her, as she is too short to land safely lol.)

I feel like a switch just flipped right after she took her first steps at 8 months. I felt like she wasn't listening to me before, but now it is obvious she is listening to my words and understands and wants to learn more.

Last edited by islandofapples; 08/21/11 08:09 AM.
    Originally Posted by kathleen'smum
    I have to share this with people who may understand. No one in our real life gets why this is such a big deal to us.

Our almost 9yr old DD is halfway through a week long science camp. She is having the best time of her life. She is engaged, excited and raring to go each morning to get there as soon as possible. Our disengaged, underachieving, ADHD child who can't sit through one hour of school without wanting to pull her own eyelashes out is in a learning environment that excites her!!

Not a brag about anything particular that she has done, just that for once in her life she sees that learning can be fun. Oh, and she gets to a dissect fish tomorrow ... also fun!

I'm sure you've seen this website .

Originally Posted by Michaela
    I asked DS (almost 2.5) "where, between the ground and the clouds, do you think the sky starts?" (I was having a painterly moment, 'k).

He paused, looked, squinted a little. "The sky has no beginning" he says.

Now if he'd only said "It doesn't start," that would have been cute enough, but no, he HAS to say it poetically. Little squirt!

I'm impressed. My son would have said, "At the horizon."

Originally Posted by Austin
    Mr W really likes the Muppet movie trailer because of the song, "We built this city (on rock and roll.)"

He got DW to download the song and he listens to it in the car on the way to school

At the movies on Friday, right after the Muppets preview, he belted the chorus out perfectly. At first, I thought it would disturb everyone and almost stopped him.

But everyone laughed and some people clapped.

I love this.
    Now to explain the artists' motivation behind that song? (It's not for a typical juvenile; that's for sure.)

U
    U
    DD, 7.5, is reading Little Women. She saw a play version this summer and has been asking to read it--I finally remembered that I do have a copy. I thought for sure that she would put it down right away, but no. She read some aloud to me today for school (she has to read aloud for homework) and I found that it is actually a lot more age-appropriate and engaging than I remembered, but still, it's quite the grown-up tome for a second-grader.

That's great! I loved that story as a child.

Page 122 of 268 1 2 120 121 122 123 124 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM