Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #21402 07/27/08 10:30 AM
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    So what do you think the odds are that "we" could collect the funds to take out an ad - like a letter to the two presidential candidates - asking them to address gifted education (although lets face it neither are talking education at all). Sometime in october?

uh am i violating forum by even suggesting - i might be - let me know.

You are not advocating one political candidate over the other. You are trying to bring the topic of gifted education up on a national level. I see no problem with that.

A quick googling of both Republican and Democratic candidates show that someone, somewhere has asked each candidate about gifted education. So the topic is on the radar... it is just a very small blip.

In my mind, this is no different than asking Bill Gates to champion the cause of gifted education. In both instances, what we are really seeking (at least to me) is to bring awareness to the greatest numbers of people. A highly contested national election for the person who shapes our educational policies for the next four years would seem like a valid avenue for promoting our cause. We would just need to treat each candidate as equal, and frame our questions, goals, etc. in a very non-political manner. I would love to see a question on gifted education, or even just education in general, appear in one of the debates. I think most of the country is frustrated by NCLB.

However I know that passions for particular political parties can run high and we run the risk of offending our fellow posters if we express our opinions. So, being very new to all of this (both message boards and gifted education), I would like to hear what other people think.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    ebeth #21413 07/27/08 08:13 PM
    I suspect the money collection would be the problem. I don't know that just talking about the idea is any kind of policy issue, but if you actively started soliciting money--even for something like this that I suspect most people would think was a good idea, at least in a generic sense--I think it might be frowned upon. We have no way to know if you're on the up-and-up or just a common thief, after all.

I think if you wanted to do something like this, you'd have to work through a well-established .org. It might be something to propose to DITD, if you're really serious. Then you could probably spread the word about it here.

Kriston
    Kriston #21440 07/28/08 11:46 AM
    The POTUS has little to do with legislation.

I'd google the House and Senate members to see if any has an interest. You might also peruse the bios to see if any graduate from HS early or show signs of GT.

From a vote-getting perspective, this is not an issue that will get most candidates votes and which will then translate into action.

So, it has to be a personal interest and will most likely have to be couched in terms of math and science and technology.

There would be two directions for funding - one for research and the other for actual change at the school level.

You would also have to have an idea of what you wanted to accomplish and it would have to be measurable or you would leave open the rep to criticism and even some sort of 60 Minutes hatchet job.

I would think the most meaningful thing would be to add GT Identification and awareness to Education curriculum at the Teachers' Colleges and for Teacher and Medical Professionals CE classes.

Simple Tests to ID possible GT kids early ( 6-24 mos ) at a Dr's office would be another line of research - maybe a longitudinal study in a major metro area. All Peds look for kids falling behind, but few if any look for GT kids either - yet both are at risk!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM