Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #212519 03/12/15 09:22 PM
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Anyone knows where to find a student advocate in LA? My son is in the Wiseburn District (west Hawthorne/El Segundo) and we need a student advocate as soon as possible, but I don't know where to look for one. Also, anyone has recommendations for private psychologists for testing?

Thanks!

Helene

I
    I
    Welcome!
    we need a student advocate as soon as possible, but I don't know where to look for one.
    Parents are often their children's best advocates. Have you seen the Guidebook on the Davidson Database?

More advocacy tips:
    - In this recent thread, several posts discuss reasons to not use the word "bored" when advocating.
    - While in general there is good and bad in everything, a focus on negativity and disappointment may be seen as smacking the oobleck with a spoon and creating an unyielding solid... it works against advocacy.
    - Focus on the positive, on the ideas set forth in the law and in school policies, and how the school can implement these to help meet your child's needs for intellectual peers and an appropriate level of academic challenge and pacing.

recommendations for private psychologists for testing
    Lists on Hoagies' Gifted Education Page: Psychologists, Professionals.

You are on the right track. Testing is the best place to begin. Without test results, it is difficult to show your child's brain is out of the norm and therefore your child's educational needs are out of the norm. While schools may increasingly rely on their own testing, private testing may be more in depth and provide greater insight.

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Thank you so much for all this information. We got an appointment for testing with a psychologist and we'll see where we go from there.

S
    S
    Sometimes it's possible to find an advocate through COPAA (Council Of Parent Attorney Advocates). They are a group that includes interested parents, special education attorneys, and (usually paid) advocates.

http://www.copaa.org/search/custom.asp?id=1489

I
    I
    Here is one example of a student advocacy service, Learning Strategies Center. In addition to personalized advocacy assistance for a fee, they provide a list of resources and occasional free web seminars on various topics, which may help parents do-it-yourself (DIY).

My personal experience with them is limited to webinar participation.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM