Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 243 of 268 1 2 241 242 243 244 245 267 268
    Amazing progress and heart warming to read!

Become what you are
    A
    A
    Oh Michelle, what a terrific brag! Big, big hugs to your DD for all her hard work!!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Awesome, MichelleC!

While we're talking about literature and kids, my DD10 is now providing me with reading material, rather than the other way around. She bought the whole Maze Runner series with her own money, and dropped the first one on my nightstand several days ago when she finished it.

P
    P
    You guys are so beyond lovely. I'm all snuffling up again and can barely see the keys.

A wonderful long weekend to all!

P.S. to Dude: my book-sharing problem arises when DS10 catches me sneaking into his room at night when I think he's asleep, to steal his book before he's done with it...

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Oh, I don't even bother to sneak...I just take my children's books whenever they're out of their hands. And I am not above: "Don't you have schoolwork to do?" And then curling up with the target book.

We do have a strict rule on books received as personal gifts, though. Until the recipient has finished the book, no one else is allowed to poach it.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    MichelleC, that's so awesome - you must be one proud mama smile

DS5 has been taking piano lessons from DH for the last...2 months? He loves to create little melodies on the piano for fun. But tonight, he made up this lovely little song, with harmony, and then, with a little help/encouragement from DH, wrote the song on staff paper, including clef, time signature, notes and all. It was so sweet and I'm just really proud of him.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    You know what I really love about MichelleC's post? Two parents who are so comfortable (but not passive) with their own and their DC's strengths and weaknesses that they've been able to take the sting (and the stigma) out of her dyslexia, and transform it into a victory for her character and determination.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Oh, I don't even bother to sneak...I just take my children's books whenever they're out of their hands. And I am not above: "Don't you have schoolwork to do?" And then curling up with the target book.

We do have a strict rule on books received as personal gifts, though. Until the recipient has finished the book, no one else is allowed to poach it.

And me buying a random book at the book fair isn't a "gift", I can poach those. But I didn't poach Spy Kid after he read it his review was so good and then he brought it to me. Almost done, it is very cute. Waiting for him to read his Will in Scarlet book from the fair.

S
    S
    Awesome!

DD and I started reading Romeo and Juliet together tonight. She asked for more at bedtime, and upon seeing the passage where R&J first speak, noted, "This is a sonnet-style quatrain. So this this! And this! It's a sonnet!"

U
    U
    I am just so amazed by DS7's reading speed and insatiability these days. He's blazing through 800+ pages a week (stuff like Redwall and Percy Jackson). I have no idea how I'm going to keep him in books, mind you, but wow.

Page 243 of 268 1 2 241 242 243 244 245 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM