Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    2 registered (2 invisible), 0 Guests and 270 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Grimsby, joelc, Ini, petebeier, Philip13
    10856 Registered Users
    November
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Page 243 of 263 < 1 2 ... 241 242 243 244 245 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #213629 - 04/02/15 05:58 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Platypus101 Offline

Loc: Canada
    Pretty darn good as a fifth grader too! Congrats to her.

ETA: I'm over the moon, so will come back and add one of my own. Getting dyslexic DD8 to read has always involved lengthy battles - she wouldn't even read the words on her own t-shirt. Last night, after we finished our reading remediation program, she asked if she could read me a picture book of poetry rather than having me do my usual bedtime read. Uh.... yes!!!!!!!!!!!! She whipped through it, huge smile on her face, clearly demonstrating that her reading level has already well-surpasssed a book that would have been a nightmare four months ago.

Later, watching her Dad scan some news on his iPad, she asked if he was really reading that fast. Because, she explained, it takes her the whole evening to read a page from "Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods". That's the non-fiction, not the novel, and holy dense text, Batman. She's been asking for that book, by herself, in lieu of bedtime reading all week, but I gotta be honest - it. never. occurred. to. me. that. she. was. actually. READING. it! rather than looking at the pictures and imagining, as she has been doing for all these years. Daddy explained that he is actually quite a slow reader (probably dyslexic too), and that he fully expects her to be able to read that fast, and probably faster, with all the hard work she's putting into her remediation. Inspired DD went back for another page about Athena.

OK, I'm blubbing up just writing this.

Edited by MichelleC (04/02/15 06:56 AM)
    Edit Reason: had to add a brag too. Sniff :)

#213633 - 04/02/15 07:11 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    DeeDee Offline

Michelle, that is FABULOUS.

#213634 - 04/02/15 07:22 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Platypus101]
    madeinuk Offline

Loc: NJ
    Amazing progress and heart warming to read!

#213636 - 04/02/15 07:36 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    aquinas Offline

Oh Michelle, what a terrific brag! Big, big hugs to your DD for all her hard work!!

#213645 - 04/02/15 09:13 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Dude Offline

Awesome, MichelleC!

While we're talking about literature and kids, my DD10 is now providing me with reading material, rather than the other way around. She bought the whole Maze Runner series with her own money, and dropped the first one on my nightstand several days ago when she finished it.

#213665 - 04/02/15 12:53 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Platypus101 Offline

Loc: Canada
    You guys are so beyond lovely. I'm all snuffling up again and can barely see the keys.

A wonderful long weekend to all!

P.S. to Dude: my book-sharing problem arises when DS10 catches me sneaking into his room at night when I think he's asleep, to steal his book before he's done with it...

#213675 - 04/02/15 06:18 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Platypus101]
    aeh Offline

Oh, I don't even bother to sneak...I just take my children's books whenever they're out of their hands. And I am not above: "Don't you have schoolwork to do?" And then curling up with the target book.

We do have a strict rule on books received as personal gifts, though. Until the recipient has finished the book, no one else is allowed to poach it.

#213680 - 04/02/15 07:02 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Curiouser Offline

Loc: NJ
    MichelleC, that's so awesome - you must be one proud mama smile

DS5 has been taking piano lessons from DH for the last...2 months? He loves to create little melodies on the piano for fun. But tonight, he made up this lovely little song, with harmony, and then, with a little help/encouragement from DH, wrote the song on staff paper, including clef, time signature, notes and all. It was so sweet and I'm just really proud of him.

#213683 - 04/02/15 07:12 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Platypus101]
    aeh Offline

You know what I really love about MichelleC's post? Two parents who are so comfortable (but not passive) with their own and their DC's strengths and weaknesses that they've been able to take the sting (and the stigma) out of her dyslexia, and transform it into a victory for her character and determination.

#213696 - 04/03/15 04:08 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: aeh]
    Cookie Offline

Originally Posted By: aeh
    Oh, I don't even bother to sneak...I just take my children's books whenever they're out of their hands. And I am not above: "Don't you have schoolwork to do?" And then curling up with the target book.

We do have a strict rule on books received as personal gifts, though. Until the recipient has finished the book, no one else is allowed to poach it.

And me buying a random book at the book fair isn't a "gift", I can poach those. But I didn't poach Spy Kid after he read it his review was so good and then he brought it to me. Almost done, it is very cute. Waiting for him to read his Will in Scarlet book from the fair.

Page 243 of 263 < 1 2 ... 241 242 243 244 245 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Algebra 2 in one semester?
    by madeinuk
    47 minutes 57 seconds ago
    Contemplating the journey
    by MumOfThree
    Yesterday at 08:13 PM
    Need Input re Transition Evaluation
    by Pemberley
    11/21/20 08:01 AM