Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Anyone know if you can say no to your child having detention?

Well, you can certainly TRY, but "detention" is often a disciplinary matter involving the contract between student and institution-- so if it is for a behavioral infraction involving your child's choices/behavior, unless you have a disability-related or matter-of-conscience angle, it may make little difference.

So things where parental backing is both entirely appropriate and would probably stick:

a) child has a documented physical disability which prevented him/her from complying with a substitute teacher's order to do (whatever-it-was), or

b) refusal to dissect an animal in a child who is vegan.

(Those are just examples, of course)

Grey area:

a) child says that teacher was unfair-- and you believe it is probably true, or

b) child was "swept" up in a Draconian punishment intended to punish a whole group of children ("the entire 6th grade").

If your child has an IEP or 504 plan, you probably have better leverage.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Last quarter ds9 was sent out to find a class to finish his work. Teacher didnt know where he went. Teacher left with the rest of the class and didnt come find him. Ds finished work and went back to class only to find it empty so he wandered school grounds. When i heard i threw a fit and schools response was that it is not the teachers responsibility to keep tabs on the student but the child should know what time assemblys are and etc. Today i get a call ds got dention for not telling his teacher when he was going to another class and he went unsupervised "the exact writing on the detention form".

Conference time.

Your child is being punished because... the school didn't supervise him.

Nice. Really nice. Sheesh.

Well, anyway-- let that one go for the purposes of this conference.

1. You'll want to meet BEFORE your child is to serve this detention, because you have questions. (And how, actually!)

2. At what point was your child instructed that this was an infraction of "the rules?"

3. WAS this an infraction of "the rules?"

4. Should the CHILD here have reasonably expected to be "in trouble" as a result of his choice? That is, did he KNOW that he was breaking the rules?

6. If not, then what purpose does the detention serve?

7. If so, then what purpose does the detention serve?

I'd pull him out of school before I'd have him punished, assuming that the narrative you've stated here is complete and accurate-- no WAY do I agree that it is the student's responsibility to make sure that s/he is properly supervised and engaged. That is flatly crazy, and it isn't meeting the clear duty of care for the students. I'm guessing that your state's board of education would find it interesting in the extreme, too. Just noting that.

Now, if the infraction previous was a "warning" and your DS left class TODAY, and was therefore given this punishment TODAY because of leaving without telling the teacher, well-- that is a less clear situation.

On the other hand, how is this enforced with other students, hmmm? Or is this because they aren't actually differentiating IN the classroom for your DS in particular? That is, is this a structural problem that they've created for him, and one which other peers are not having to face?

That is, are all of the other children being supervised and told where to go and when? Or do they treat all of them so irresponsibly?

I'm pretty sure that this is adding up to a no-win situation for your DS. Clearly, he was told that he "should have known" where his class was, and should have sought them at the assembly. Yes?

Well, he has obviously gotten the message loud and clear that the teacher isn't responsible for him-- HE is. So why would he tell the teacher where he was going? HE knew.

Besides, if it isn't the teacher's job to keep track of students, then why on earth are they punishing your son for not facilitating that kind of awareness on the part of the teacher?

ETA: finally-- why, oh WHY is your child still in this setting with these people? (It's an honest question. You don't have to answer, but my goodness, this is certainly toxic.)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Its very toxic. We have had several meetings. Honestly he wants to stay. We are having our daughter tested in a few weeks and if shes gifted we are putting them in a gifted only classroom. I have also written several letters to the board with no response. I even went to the pto and was told they have nothing to do with that. I understand why he wants to stay but im almost tempted to just keep him home the remainder of the school year.

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Poor little guy! Poor you, this must be horribly stressful!

Kids, even smart ones, often don't know what they want because they don't have a basis of comparison. That is, he doesn't know how bad it is because, how could he? And it shouldn't be his responsibility to be able to judge his situation fairly (just like it's not his responsibility to know where an assembly is or what classroom to go to).

DD never wanted to change anything when she was young. She didn't want to be different, didn't want to stick out, didn't want to switch schools. But when we'd make the change for her, she ended up much happier.

I say your experience and broader knowledge has to supersede his more limited opinion. I say pull him out if you have any alternative.

(and as a nice bonus, you get to tell the school where they can stick their detention)

P
    P
    I think given previous events it is reasonable to ask them to delay it until you have had a meeting.

C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hubby and i are going to the school this morning to have a chat with the principal.

B
    B
    This sounds like the school or teacher's attempt to retaliate and turn things around to make everything look like his fault. I assume you haven't gotten anywhere with the principal so far in terms of understanding your concerns? With people/schools like this, the more you complain the worse it's going to get. It's a no-win situation. And doesn't he have ADHD? They expect him to be at an assembly at the right time on his own? DD9 can't even find her shoes half the time. Basically they are punishing behaviors that result directly from a disability (and that's assuming someone told him he had to notify the teacher and he didn't).

P
    P
    I hope your meeting goes well Cola. I'll second blackcat's reply too.

One thing I'd do for sure is make sure you have the full info re what actually happened. In the instant that happened this week, did it happen when your ds was going to his regularly scheduled other-class-for-differentiation visit, or did he just wander out at a time when he wasn't expected to? That would make a huge difference in my perspective on how to proceed re this particular incident.

Overall, it sounds like you need to have an IEP (or 504) update meeting - I think he has an IEP or a 504? If not, it sounds like he needs one... at this school.

polarbear

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM