Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    B
    A bioinformatics professor is homeschooling his son and a few other students in AP Physics C, describing the lessons and experiments (including computer analysis of experimental data) at his blog

http://gasstationwithoutpumps.wordpress.com/tag/ap-physics/ .

The textbook used is Matter and Interactions http://matterandinteractions.org/ .

P
    P
    I had to bump this marvellous older thread I just came across. There's been a couple recent discussions about physics books, so I am guessing I'm not the only one who will enjoy spending a few days pouring through this bonanza of resources. In fact, on-line materials are appearing at such a rate that the real challenge is figuring where to spend your time - and possibly your money. I'm drowning in choice! With the benefit of almost three more years since this thread was created, I'd love to hear recent experience to help triage.

On our end, our particular interests include engaging physics materials in any format (info, courses, games, whatever) for DS11, who smuggles Neil de Grasse Tyson under the covers, but has no exposure yet to any systematic physics concepts. The more visual the better (visual as in he loves geometry but not algebra - as opposed to we want graphic design run amuk!). Anything to do with gravity, particle, quantum and cosmology especially welcome.

I've recently been pouring through "The Great Courses" listings, including two courses strongly recommended a couple of years ago by ColinsMum (The Joy of Math and Particle Physics for Non-Physicists). I'm teetering on the edge of ordering, but wondering if that's just crazy in this new era of free Coursera et al? Same question for an EPGY physics course (which will never be recognized by our schools). Somehow the simplicity and linear coherency of something like The Great Courses - with physical DVDs in hand - appeals (but perhaps that's just my age showing?) And to be perfectly honest, regardless of what appeals to me, DS is rather resistant to after-schooling, and probably would enjoy a random selection of youtube videos and websites more than something that smacks of systematic instruction (and he's the antithesis of linear). Though I presume The Great Courses are more of a "watch for entertainment" as compared to EPGY which requires a lot of "do as homework"...?

Michelle, I would probably stick with the Neil dGT videos and Coursera topics rather than invest in TGC materials-- DD was rather underwhelmed with them at that age. They were much more dry than she cared for.

We have a small handful of them, but they barely got used. It probably depends upon the kid-- but your description sounds a lot like my DD at 10-11yo. If it felt too "schooly" then she wasn't having it.

We didn't ever try The Joy of Mathematics, though-- and what we did have success with (a couple of art history ones, and a world religions thing) we borrowed from our local library.

Bostonian's list from the previous page is still amazing as a collection of resources. DD tried most of them, and she really enjoyed exploring most of it.

We gladly endorse the Hewitt text-- it won't be enough for kids past middle school (at least not by itself), but it's a very solid introduction to classical mechanics.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 03/31/15 06:49 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    The Einstein Revolution MOOC, currently in session, is not a straight physics course but looks interesting.

About this Course
    Albert Einstein has become the icon of modern science. Following his scientific, cultural, philosophical, and political trajectory, this course aims to track the changing role of physics in the 20th and 21st centuries. Addresses Einstein's engagement with relativity, quantum mechanics, Nazism, nuclear weapons, philosophy, the arts, and technology, and raises basic questions about what it means to understand physics in its broader history.

Participants in the course will follow seventeen lessons, each of which will present a mix of science (no prerequisites!) and the broader, relevant cultural surround. Some weeks will examine the physics concepts, while others will see excerpts of films or discuss modernist poetry that took off from relativity. Or we might be looking at the philosophical roots and philosophical consequences of Einstein’s works. At other times we will be fully engaged with historical and political questions: the building, dropping, and proliferation of nuclear weapons, for example.

Typically, in a lesson (about an hour of streamed material), there will be opportunities for individual mini-essay writing, some multiple choice questions to bolster your understanding of the science, and a group activity which might one week be a debate and another a collective commentary on elements of an artwork from 1920s Weimar Germany. HarvardX pursues the science of learning. By registering as an online learner in an HX course, you will also participate in research about learning.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM