Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    Oh do I feel your pain. I suppose in hindsight, it will be good to have had this sneak peek into attitudes that are often more carefully hidden.

Ditto. I was going to say that it's frustrating, but this may have been the best thing that could happen because now you know to not waste your time with her. It would be even more heartbreaking if you found this out after he had been there a week or two or seven. We have had a couple teachers who put on fake, cheery smiles, claiming that they would differentiate and do X, Y, and Z and then they ended up being jerks after we had trusted them, so this way it is better. Hang in there.

This. So, so much. smile I know that it stings in the moment, but in the long haul, so much better than being led down that particular garden path.

Let's just say that I had a 4-6yo who was completely capable of hoodwinking even intelligent and perceptive adults who didn't know her, at least if she opted to go that route on any given day. I feel your pain.

I always held my breath a bit when it was time for her to "demonstrate" or "prove" anything to anyone-- for any reason. She reacts badly to being treated like a circus poodle.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Marnie
    Thanks guys, already your reactions are making me feel better...I'm thinking maybe we dodged a bullet with this one.

Val, I believe the point is to assess for "kindergarten readiness"...whatever that means.
    At the Catholic school that allowed our son into KG at age 4, the teacher gave him a little test before giving us permission to enroll him. Early KG has been the right choice for him. So a "kindergarten readiness" test does not always produce unwelcome results. Early entrance to KG is a big decision. There should be some process (other than "No!" as in most public schools). Individual IQ tests can cost more than $1000.

E
    E
    My favorite ever "kindergarten readiness" story, told by a friend of mine:

She brought her son in for the K teacher to screen. Early in the test, she handed him a crayon and asked what color it was. He looked at her quizzically, then turned it sideways, looked at it, and told her, "turquoise!"

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    At the Catholic school that allowed our son into KG at age 4, the teacher gave him a little test before giving us permission to enroll him. Early KG has been the right choice for him. So a "kindergarten readiness" test does not always produce unwelcome results. Early entrance to KG is a big decision. There should be some process (other than "No!" as in most public schools). Individual IQ tests can cost more than $1000.

We actually did one of those IQ tests... but when we spoke to the district superintendent's office, they said that while an independent eval was nice to have, it didn't count for anything and they'd do their own assessments...

L
    L
    Oh, hugs, Marnie! I feel your pain! Part of the reason we never bothered to have DD tested before she was old enough for school testing was that um, well...there was no guarentee she'd "perform." By age 8, when she was "old enough" for G&T testing at school, she'd been through enough standardized testing that I knew she could handle being tested with a decent chance of giving it some actual, compliant effort...she'd matured (although she still has her moments).

I guess my point is...hang in there. Eventually, they will see it. Also, K screening, is, from what I've seen - a big nothing. Unless they have some amazing special programs (that probably require more than 3 minutes to determine admission), I wouldn't sweat it.

DS6 is an entirely different child...extremely compliant. We had him tested at age 6. wink

G
    G
    Homeschool? We are doing it here in PA and it has been fabulous.

F
    F
    Oh, I'm so sorry! Hugs to you.
    On the bright side, you still have summer before he has to actually go.
    And if it makes you feel any better,the story was probably dull in the extreme, so he wasn't JUST stubborn.

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Gah, what a terrible feeling that must have been. I completely sympathize, both with the "my kid had a chance to prove it and blew it" (when they gave her the Iowa assessment at the start of 2nd) and with the "I paid big money for this test and you won't even bother to look at it?" (several different years in fact).

But I also agree with those saying that this really is a blessing in disguise.

I know what HK means about kids not wanting to be shown off. When DD was tiny I put her on the phone with my mom to demonstrate how well she was talking and she refused to speak out loud again for several months. Just as we were honestly getting worried, she started up again.

M
    M
    I will stay far far away from this school. Any school administrators worth his or her paycheck should move a teacher like that out of K. I'm not saying that older kids should be given a crappy (can I use that word on this forum?) teacher but at the very least, five year olds should be spared from someone who seems more concerned about being in control than helping children.

I am getting this feeling that all teachers want these days are "bright" children who are complainant. It's all about obedience, which is rather discouraging on so many levels.

I am always on DD's case about being respectful towards teachers but I'm getting fed up by schools that do not even try to make education a meaningful experience for just about everyone.

I feel for you but really, I'd move on.

Last edited by Mana; 03/31/15 11:07 PM.
    A
    A
    That sounds like a nightmare, I'm so sorry. I hope you have good luck with 1st grade. Maybe THAT teacher is the best ever? I mean, you can hope...

If it makes you feel any better--but it probably won't--I took DS5 to IQ and achievement testing a couple weeks and it was also an unmitigated disaster. He wasn't having fun, doesn't enjoy being quizzed on what he knows, and didn't see what the point of the activity was, so he totally blew off most of it. He still pulled out achievement scores that show he's basically passed Kindergarten without ever having attended, but that won't be good enough for them. He has to have nearly achieved 1st grade proficiency before they'll let him into 1st grade early. Ugh, the bureaucracy... it burns.

Last edited by Aufilia; 04/01/15 10:18 PM.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM