Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #213526 03/31/15 09:54 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Dd9 (FSIQ 149) is in 3rd grade in a self contained gifted class (mix of 2nd/3rd). This is her 2nd year in the GT class. Last year she was happy for the first time in school, this year we've had crying and not wanting to go to school again like she did in 1st grade (prior to GT class). I've worked with her teacher trying to make things better for her this year with some luck.

However, she still says she's bored... primarily in math which is her strongest subject. She says specifically she doesn't like how slow the teacher is to instruct the class on a topic. In addition to this she doesn't like the computer programs that they use for math (Ten Marks and iready). Despite saying she's bored she doesn't get everything right and doesn't show that she could use higher placement according to the teacher. Is it possible to be bored but still not get 100% in a gifted program?

C
    C
    I would say there is plenty of evidence that it is very possible to be bored in a gifted program and not get 100%. When not fully engaged, it is very difficult to put forth the effort to check one's work fully or show the need for higher level work (using most common measures).

C
    C
    My son says tenmarks is horrible it marks correct things wrong and sometimes you will pick correct answer and they say you picked a different answer He would chuck it in the river if he could because his teacher refuses to override the quiz grades even if she agrees with him. Just marking time until this year is over. Next year new school.

Most of those online programs are similar to Cookie's description, fwiw.

DD suffered (and not at all gladly) with a few of those-- always mandatory for all students in the name of state testing readiness, tyvm-- and she was definitely not "engaged" or particularly gracious about it.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    @cookie

That's the exact same stuff she complains about! Luckily I was able to convince the teacher to lay off the computer math a little bit and that has helped with her frustration. However, it seems that the teacher is instructing the entire class in math and not differentiating at all among the 20 some 2nd and 3rd graders. I would like to think next year will be better with a teacher that has a reputation for being awesome. Sadly dd never seems 100% happy with anything. The only thing she really enjoys is making videos of math and teaching it... think Khan Academy... Or her idea of making her own math website that would blow the others out of the water. LOL

@howler

DING! DING! That is their entire agenda this year it seems.... frown

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 03/31/15 01:15 PM.
    L
    L
    Sounds like my DYS DS6. Doesn't want to go to school, cries that he isn't learning anything, and begs me to do something...ugh! I really think he would feel better overall if he was more challenged in math, too.

Yes, I think it is completely possible to be bored and not be getting 100%. Both of my DC sometimes make silly errors when they are doing very easy work (as if they aren't using much of their brain/paying full attention). But it also means that it may be harder to advocate for these kiddos (See? DC made a mistake! They must have something to learn...concludes a teacher). Really, that type of thinking is just encouraging perfectionism, though, and I am trying to avoid precisely this type of thinking with my kiddos.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM