Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi everyone we are having a hard time finding a medication for my 9 year old. The DR has prescribed two drugs and neither one is covered by our insurance. If you have a child on medication can you please let me know the name and your personal thoughts on the drug? Thank you.

D
    D
    I'd recommend you talk with your insurance company and find out what's on their formulary, then take that list back to your doctor.

B
    B
    We can't recommend drugs but DD has tried intuniv (or guanfacine) and I don't notice any obvious differences so far. She did better on stimulants (i.e. ritalin) but there were too many side effects. What works great for one kid won't work for another. Also, I recommend getting into a psychiatrist. Our experience is that the pediatricians are just blindly guessing for the most part. They may have a lot of experience with ritalin or adderall, but not the less used medications like intuniv, strattera, etc.

Some companies offer discount cards that you can use for up to a year. Check out the drug companies website and look for discount cards or shoot them an email and ask if they offer one. The long acting stimulant my oldest child takes sent me one. I pay $20 with the card. My insurance covers it but it would be over $150 a month without the drug companies discount card.

C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    We are looking at Qullivant. Anyone familiar with that?

B
    B
    I looked it up and it looks like a different version of ritalin...basically the same drug but maybe longer acting. Have you tried regular ritalin in pill form? I would go for that before trying one of the fancier versions, since regular ritalin isn't all that expensive. You can at least get an idea if it helps in the time frame that it is effective (before it wears off).

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Extended release oral suspension. Probably its selling point is that you don't have to swallow a pill, so some children may be more compliant. And, I suppose, one could play with the dosage on a continuous scale.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Yes, I am. It works very well for my oldest. Get about 11 hours of relief and 1 hour of a slow let down. We use it because of GI issues that cause regurgitation with pill swallowing.
    Attention to his surroundings increased day one. He noticed streets signs, billboards, books on our shelves, toys he never touched and best of all other kids space, feelings and opinions.
    Reading span increased, attention to mistakes increased, etc. etc.
    We may have a side effect every now and then. Headaches and not being able to fall asleep. Have not yet figured out if related to meds.
    Of course this is just my childs experience. It may or may not be the same for other kids.

K
    K
    We had DS9 on Focalin XR for about a month earlier this year. I saw a noticeable improvement in his ability to focus on schoolwork. However, the side effect for him was having frequent intense, angry meltdowns, which included trashing his room. No amount of improvement was worth it, so we took him off.

A
    A
    DD takes both Adderall XR and Intuiniv. One of the side affects of the stimulents for her was to increase her anxiety, which increased meltdown-y behavior, especially at the time the Adderall is wearing off. The Intuiniv is mainly prescribed to moderate the anxiety, but I do notice a difference in her behavior after the Adderall wears off, too. Her day is just much more smooth all around with the Intuiniv.

FWIW, she started with Adderall non-extended-release, and the non-extended-release pills are great while they're working, but when the dose wears off it's like she falls off an emotional cliff. She's a total emotional wreck for, oh, 20 minutes. The XR wears off more gradually. She's still a bit of a wreck, but not on the same scale.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM