Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    Just found this and am bumping it up!

B
    B
    My son went for the first time this year and he said it was boring and didn't want to return on day 3. Not going back next year.

K
    K
    DS11 went to one when he was eight and didn't like it. He would rather have been building the whole time than do all the activities, and the counselor he had was really more of a "babysitter" and didn't know much about building or electronics. Like OP, he also was disappointed in the not-working aspect of things.

I
    I
    Ugh.... My DS just did it in PA. He liked it well enough and enjoyed it for the most part. And I believe it COULD be very good... BUT I was pretty unhappy with what I observed. I never saw an adult it was middle-schoolers (12 year olds - I am not kidding) running the entire thing. It was chaotic and poorly run. DS said he and another kid did the projects while the others in his group did nothing yet at the "Inventor's Showcase" (which was a chaotic free-for-all, btw) random kids just ran in and took the inventions before us parents could even see the projects DS worked on. He was HEARTBROKEN. Honestly, it was WAY too expensive of a camp to only have middle schoolers running it and for it to be so poorly run. I gave them plenty of critisism on their survey/feedback form. Unless they do so major changes, I'll never send to DS to one again. Basically, like a previous poster said - it's just a bunch of middle-schoolers babysitting - not a real educational/creative experience. HTH!

Last edited by Irena; 06/25/13 03:42 PM.
    D
    D
    Your experience is going to vary depending on the location. I have an education doctorate and I was looking forward to having my children enroll. Never again.

Essentially, the "home office" contracts with local areas and hires staff part-time. It's a "nationally acclaimed" program just like products are sold "as seen on TV". In Munster, Indiana, it's all about the money. You may or may not have people with a science background. My children were told to destroy (not take apart) the take-apart items - which I wasn't expecting.

The first day, I was told a refund would be issued if I did not continue to bring my children. I agreed and did not bring my children. The home office "changed their tune" and the local PT's refused to return my calls. It's all about the money - once they have it - you can forget it. This is a summer scam much like the other various summer scams (want a good deal on getting your driveway sealcoated?).

D
    D
    Our 10 year old went last year and really enjoyed it. We signed him and a friend up almost two months ago, for a session scheduled for next week. Just got an email that the camp is cancelled (one week notice) ; my friend was told they only had 13 (!) kids, hence the cancellation. Not only are the boys terribly disappointed, but we now have two working moms with no child care scrambling over the next 4 days to find a solution. Terrible customer service- we won't ever be doing this again.

J
    Jai Offline
    J
    Bump. Any new reviews?

L
    L
    My DS9 is signed up to go for this third time this summer. He went the past two years (this year he'll be in the 4th-6th group). They mix small groups of variable ages -- so you don't just have a team of third graders. Our first time was in another school district that had a lot of experience and a massive total group. He enjoyed it, but he did complain at first that the inventions weren't real -- but he embraced the prototype idea after that. He struggled a bit with the group being very loud when all together (same as during school). He also is a collector of all his creations, so I was impressed that he was okay with how his small group determined who got to take home which creations at the end.

Last year, it was offered at our local school, and new to our district. Definitely had a few kinks to work out, but the smaller size group was much better, far less chaotic.

DS has watched the demo videos about this year's modules and is already thinking about what's to come, and we're collecting random bits of reusable and recyclables in anticipation (things like worn out girls tights are oddly helpful when making inventions that move mechanically). He loves making things.

DD7 tried it last year (when rising to grade 1) and did not want to go again this summer. She said she did not like being directed, and wanted more time to create freely, as well as more help with the tools (loosening things) in the take-apart challenge.

For the price, for the amount of time they spend together, I think it's been worth it, but it sounds like it depends on the school. DS now has the opportunity to take some GT stuff, but the bulk of it happens during the same week we signed up for CI, or when we're traveling, which I didn't realize when we signed up. But those GT classes are twice as expensive anyway, so maybe next year. :-)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM