Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    Can2K Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks Polarbear! I am planning to talk to his school to try to get a better picture of how things are going there, and to let them know about the assessment. After that I think I'll have a better idea of what to tell his pediatrician.

It's so confusing though - yesterday I sat with him to do homework and he did it all fine. For math he had to draw pictures (to show his work) and he drew 15 little flowers without complaining (mind you he used our white board, which seems easier for him).

He also showed me a very nice, detailed leprechaun picture which he had drawn a few weeks ago in class - copied from the board (and I had assumed one of his friends drew).

So I don't know - is it possible his motor skills are just delayed? Or he learns them more slowly? I'll see if I can ask the OT about it.

P
    P
    Texture issues around writing materials have often been mentioned on this forum. DD8 is dyslexic but no (known!) fine motor issues, and loves the whiteboard (alternate choice: fountain pen). Her teacher (bless her!) just lets DD go to town on the whiteboard and when she's done, snaps a photo to add to DD's folder. The teacher obviously saw enough difference in output quantity/ quality to encourage this. DD also has visual processing issues, and I wonder if between the two LDs, in addition to texture she may also just find it easier to write on a physically larger scale (the bigger the font the better for reading).

For the record, her clothing-sensitive father will use exactly one kind of pen, and woe betide us if he runs out of them.

P
    P
    Can2K, the motor skills required to draw are different from the motor skills required for handwriting. It's not uncommon to see this in kids with dysgraphia - the ability to draw (even really well) without issues, but struggling with handwriting. When you use handwriting, you have to execute a series of pencil moves in a specific order/fashion, and you lift your pencil up off the paper every time you write a letter. Cursive is often easier for kids who have handwriting challenges because the letters are connected which means you don't have to pick the pencil up as often. For some kids (with dysgraphia) there is a challenge with remembering *how* to draw the letters - it isn't automatic like it is for most people. When they are drawing pictures, though, the need for rote automaticity isn't as important.

The white board might also be easier for any number of reasons - it's a solid surface so a kid who has a poor grip or who exerts too much pressure when gripping might find it easier to write on. The markers are most likely larger around than a pencil is, so they might be easier to control or grip. There aren't any lines so he doesn't have to concentrate on making letters "fit" within lines... etc...

It is possible his motor skills are delayed, and it's possible there might be more of a challenge than just a delay. If you have a comprehensive eval to get more info about whether or not your ds has DCD and what the impact is, you'll learn more about his handwriting ability/speed/challenges if they exist.

Best wishes,

polarbear

C
    Can2K Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Yes, we usually take a photo of DS's whiteboard work and email to the teacher. We've mentioned to her that he seems to work well this way, but I don't know if she implements this in class.

The OT also suggested writing vertically might be good for developing wrist strength.

C
    Can2K Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    That's interesting about drawing. It's only very recently that he's done any drawing (or cutting/pasting, painting, etcetera) at all. Usually if I ask about art projects at school he tells me he 'failed' that activity. :-(

With DD10, in preschool and K she brought things home every day - our house was filled with artwork! DS hardly ever brings anything home, which is why I was surprised at the leprechaun drawing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM