Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    coffee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    So, DD7 is loving school at the moment. We asked for, and got, a particular teacher who's pushing her in most lessons and genuinely seems to like her. DD7 is "only" MG ((FSIQ 138) but has good EF abilities which include a high working memory which pushes up achievement. She is social, makes friends easily and although intense doesn't have any sensitivities. In short, she's probably relatively easy to cater for educationally.

Her strength is maths, she's always been very mathy - could count to 100 by 2 and currently lives for her maths lessons. In classroom the maths is way too easy so once she's finished she (and anyone else who wishes) can do some puzzles, maths games etc. She also does weekly "enrichment" which seems to be a mix of interesting problem solving and literacy based tasks. The school also streams the 60 children in the year into 4 maths classes about 4 times a week. The maths in these subgroups is harder and she really enjoys it. Having said that though, they've just had an end of term test and she said she got everything correct. In fact, so far this year (nearly finished the first term here in Aus) she's only got one thing wrong, which was on a worksheet. I know this because she mentioned it for weeks because it was an unusual thing.

So, overall, she's happy and chirpy and thriving but I'm a bit worried (but only mildly) by how easy the maths still is. Ideally, I'd like her to be getting stuff wrong and learning from it. I'd prefer her not to do after school maths tutoring - although she would love it, probably - because between school and a few sporting commitments I think she needs time to just play, read, annoy her siblings etc.

Is this unreasonable? Overall I think on a day to day level her wonderful teacher is encouraging her to explore most subjects in greater depths. I do also think they're trying to do that in maths but it's not working.

How much does it matter if some school is far too easy if overall she's happy and stimulated?

Last edited by coffee; 03/27/15 04:40 AM.
    My gauge has always been the happiness and demeanor of the child. If she is pleased with the situation, then at least for now I would just leave it as it is. This could change though. Maybe next year will be a different story. I have found we just have to take it day by day since things constantly change. My PG DS7 was absolutely miserable in first grade. Even though I sent in ourextra worksheets for math and reading, he could not deal with it. He got depressed, angry ,frustrated, you name it. Something had to be done. We pulled him out of math and reading all together. He is now in second grade, 1 year accelerated in all subjects since Kindergarten. Doing math EPGY with a tutor. I also come in a few lessons a week and work with him on various things. He is also subject accelerated in language arts. This year has been absolutely great! Is the language arts class still too easy for him? Yes. But that is my point, he is happy , and that is all that matters. There might be enough stimulation and other subjects which is keeping your daughter happy with her school situation. My only concern when kids are not fully challenged in school, is the lack of developing work ethic and not getting used to and being able to conquer struggles. If she is encountering this in other subjects though, I wouldn't worry about it. Can you send in some worksheets where you follow your own curriculum? Kind of like you would if you were home schooling.

Last edited by 1111; 03/27/15 05:02 AM.
    C
    coffee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks for that, that's helpful. I agree that if she's overall happy and stimulated she's probably been adequately stimulated. She's very different (and difficult) when it's not the case, although not as extreme as with your DS. Her current teacher is excellent and answers all her questions and encourages more in depth thought in every subject, every day. Mind you, she's the teacher who encouraged me to get to cognitively assessed in the first place. My worry is with regard to her not feeling confident taking academic risks - in maths - in the future if things are too easy now.

Worksheets from home are an option although I wouldn't really know where to start. It could just be that her class teacher doesn't yet realise that her pull out maths stuff isn't challenging either. Or it could be that it's more than hard enough and I'm getting a skewed version! We've parent - teacher interviews in a few weeks and I might bring it up then

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    I would definitely have a discussion with the teacher on parent teacher night. It is great that she is happy but the fact that she mentioned for weeks the time she got something wrong stands out for me. At some point that can become an issue and learning to face challenge is very important.

Overall it sounds as though you are in a good and supportive place and that is vital. Just talk it through with the teacher and see if she has some suggestions for upping the challenge a little.

P
    P
    It sounds a great set up. If the teacher is reasonable talk to them. Maybe a lot of kids are getting everything right?

C
    coffee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    It is a great set-up - for now - but this is mainly due to her teacher. Her school has a great reputation but this teacher had another of my children recently and she really is fantastic. Older, experienced and sort of intuitive/holistic as to which aspects to attend to and which to watch and wait develop. Her background is actually in learning support but she's been in mainstream classes for years and years.

Puffin, my eldest was in the same maths pull out class last year and she said even kids who were unusually good at maths were getting things wrong because some of it was quite hard. In DD7's year there's another girl who is likely also getting everything right and they sit next to each other in class and chat about their enrichment activities.

ETA: they chat about everything else too, they're great friends!

Last edited by coffee; 03/29/15 05:35 PM.
    N
    ndw Offline
    N
    I think you are living the dream in some ways. A supportive teacher and a peer for your child!

You are correct though, the experience is very teacher dependent. I would have no problem having some in depth conversations with this teacher and picking her brains about how she says your daughter's educational path within that school. Ask her advice about getting the challenge level right but also start planning now for the next few years. They will come upon you very quickly and this teacher sounds like a great advocate and resource.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM