Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi all,

It has been a while since I last posted - we got caught up in life (funny how that happens) - also, I think that after we got DS tested, and all of our suspicions were confirmed (and then some), we didn't need to poke around here for answers so much, you know?

Anyway, I'm writing now beacuse I wanted some opinions. DS just turned 5, and thus is K aged. But we don't know what to do with him. We have looked at a million private schools (good schools, really great schools, just not necessarily for a PG kid.) we are still going to go to K registration and talk to them - see if they are willing to do anything to work with us. AND there is also a new gifted school opening (The Grayson School, outside of Philly...has anyone heard of it?) Anyway, it looks amazing. They get giftedness. BUT it's expensive and like, an hour drive away. Which is a huge pain, frankly. SOooo...my long-winded question is...is it worth it? The cost, the drive, for a 5 year old's education? Or do we make do with homeschooling or public K (or 1st, as they are apparently willing to bump up one grade but no more than that) or some other in-between measure? I would rather NOT just homeschool, as DS is very social and thrives off interaction with peers. But I also don't want him bored out of his head in public school. I mean, we are easily doing 5-7th grade with him at home now. reading is not so high...maybe 3rd? and science is way up there too...current passion is cardiac physiology. What do you DO with a kid like this? Why aren't there more gifted schools?? UGH. I just want there to be a right answer. It's stressing me out. I want him to be happy and challenged and with his peers (both social and intellectual). BUT I don't want to break the bank/go out of our minds driving hours a day etc etc. Any help/insight would be great.

M

P.S. we applied to DYS a few days ago (hopefully our nominator will get their form in before the 31st so we can get potentially get our hands on some seriously helpful resources!)

A
    A
    Marnie, welcome back! I'm going to PM you in a moment.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Wow, just went to the Grayson School's website. They have some seriously heavy-hitting folks on their research advisory board. Susan Assouline? Jack Naglieri? Matthew Fugate? If the school can execute anywhere near what the research board knows, it ought to be stellar. But financial and lifestyle impacts are important, too, and might even outweigh academics in any given year. It looks like they have weekend programs, too, that are open to the community. Maybe that could be a compromise for a year or two? Plus give you and your DS a chance to test-drive the school first.

Sympathy. Tough decisions.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Wow, just went to the Grayson School's website. They have some seriously heavy-hitting folks on their research advisory board. Susan Assouline? Jack Naglieri? Matthew Fugate?

I'm geeking out at their advisory board, too!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    N
    N
    Yes, I have heard of Grayson. The opening got delayed by at least a school year - I'm not sure if they have their license/accreditation yet. Expensive, but not as expensive as many established private schools in the area (as I'm sure you know).

I would be a bit wary of sending a kid to a new school, especially since there are so many in the area that have a long track record (as in over 100 years). I really don't know that any school meets every kid where they are in every subject.

Since I did not think that my kids were particularly bright when they were five, I wasn't looking at schools the way many others on this forum look at schools. However, I attended a highly regarded private school in the Philadelphia area, and my kids have attended a private and a public school in the area. I can't say that the academics met my kids (or me) at their level in elementary or even in middle school. However, they have/had a lot of very bright classmates, some clearly brighter than them.

Could my 10 year old read Voltaire in the original French? Perhaps, but I really don't expect the school to accommodate her level of foreign language. Might some other kid be an extremely talented artist or scientist? Sure, but I really don't expect the school - any school - to meet such a kid at his/her level.

However, being around other kids at his level is important. My little one (10, in 5th grade) is writing some sort of math play with friends, just because they think that is fun. My older two did stuff like that when they were younger. Personally, that is what I would look for - other very bright kids.

And there is life outside of school. My older two play/played travel sports, and the social benefits of mixing with kids from various schools is great. There is really only one kid that I recall that was at/above their intellectual level on the travel teams (and they still hang out with her and discuss geeky topics), but there is more to life than just academics.

M
    M
    We have a great micro school opening near us (5 minute commute!) and their tuition is less than 1/2 of a typical private school around here. It's everything I was looking for and more but...with any new schools, there'd be growing pains and I'm not sure if we want DD to experience them.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    DH here -- Just wanted to chime in with my 2c. I've kind of been pushing for the Grayson School... maybe I'm an idealist, but I feel like with a kid like DS, I really don't want to settle for "meh, maybe they can keep him occupied with kids his own age, and then we'll do the real schooling at home."

It would be one thing if he was far ahead in a single subject, but for a kid who's globally at least 3 grades ahead, what is a traditional school going to do? I REALLY don't want him to be bored 6 hours out of every day, and get really jaded about academics & learning & everything.

Of course, the 2 dead hours of driving that the Grayson School would require is bad, too... I hate it when there's no perfect option.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Marnie
    Of course, the 2 dead hours of driving that the Grayson School would require is bad, too... I hate it when there's no perfect option.

Is it possible to try the school for a while and if you think it's worth it in terms of the money, move closer?

I don't think you're going to be happy with the public school unless they already have an unconventional structure. One of my kids is at a public school where he was accelerated 3 years per math. They align all of the math schedules and combine grades, and it's not hard to do. We have open enrollment which means students can go to a different public school than their neighborhood school so that opens our options. The neighborhood school was a disaster, they wouldn't even accelerate him for math one year. The teacher, of course, said she would differentiate but it never happened. If they say they will differentiate but have no clear plan, run the other way. They all say this.

C
    C
    Car pools? You find even one or two families to share it with and it won't feel so ominous. Granted everyone has to have big cars/vans the more kids in the car pool. Find families with only one child.

Van services? Our elementary school...the zoned kids all live within 2 miles of the school and it is considered an entire student body walking school. The only kids with bus service are students in the self contained ESE classes that ride the special needs buses. And then there is the school choice program kids who attend as out of zone kids for the dual language program (which is my kid). The out of zone kids live further away than 2 miles (we live 3 miles and I just transport him, our zoned school is 1.5 miles in the other direction). There can't be more than 50 of those kids. But the school is serviced by several transportation vans...there have to be 30 of them. I don't know how much they charge but most of them can't be going more than 2 miles.

Last edited by Cookie; 03/29/15 02:54 PM. Reason: eh didn't look right
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Marnie

Isn't it actually 4 dead hours? An hour there in the morning, an hour back home, an hour there in the afternoon, and an hour back home? That would not be happening here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM