Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi there wondering if anyone can help me. DD is just about to start school (eeeek) and although we are feeling well prepared I am very worried about her ability to relate to the other kids. She is still very childlike in most areas but I'm worried the "geek" alarm is going to go off when she starts talking about music.

Can anyone recommend any first grade popular artists I can exposes her to? She currently likes classical music, ABBA and the wiggles.... So I guess I'm looking for upbeat with a bit of complexity in the melody maybe.

Anyway just so when someone asks her favourite song she has something to go to other than the Quattro in Swan lake or Chiquitica.

P
    P
    See if you can find out if her school does jump jam and what ? songs are then listen. My kids went to school with mimimal exposure music exposure and they have never mentioned it being an issue. For girls at least that song from Frozen 'let it go' ? Seems very popular.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    good tip re jump jam. Fortunately we have escaped frozen fever!

P
    P
    Ditto puffin's experience - lack of exposure to current popular music wasn't an issue in early elementary. I also don't really remember any coming home in terms of our kids picking up on it from other kids until around 3rd/4th grade. If your child knows ABBA and Wiggles she's really good to go in terms of having some musical "currency" for early elementary smile The other kids will probably have heard the Wiggles, and if they haven't heard ABBA, if they are like the little girls I've known, they'll be into it the minute they've heard it smile

And Frozen... don't teach your dd Frozen... think of it as a kindness to the adults around her who have already heard kids singing it 9 million times laugh

Such a fun age - I hope your dd has fun next year!

polarbear

C
    C
    Like that viral video of the mom who had been snowed in for three days with non stop frozen. Said if she could wring a cartoon character's neck she would strangle (and with the help of her little girl who is off camera starts naming some of the characters). And little girl pleas come from off camera...please don't kill Elsa!

D
    D
    I wouldn't worry about it. Musical tastes don't become normative/stigmatizing until at least 4th grade...

U
    U
    This doesn't matter in first grade. I would say it doesn't become an issue till around 4th or so. FWIW, my 5th grader hates most popular "tweeny" music. It's not a big deal.

C
    C
    I think first grade music of children is folk songs they have been taught like coming round the mountain and campfire type songs from camp/scouts...like on top of spaghetti type songs. Rafi songs are good for this age (baby beluga, down by the sea, There was an old lady who swallowed a fly). And hey every time I make fruit salad I burst into the wiggles and I am nearing 50 years old.

My ten year old did like kidz bop CDs starting around age seven or eight. And he likes Disney pop from about that age.

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    This doesn't matter in first grade. I would say it doesn't become an issue till around 4th or so. FWIW, my 5th grader hates most popular "tweeny" music. It's not a big deal.

Ditto.

My DD really hasn't ever liked "typical" stuff this way. Though she did think that Bruno Mars was dreamy when she was 10, as I recall. LOL.

Her favorite songs were by Tom Lehrer. blush So there you go. She still has managed to find her tribe, and the theater majors seem to find her a total hoot, by the way, because she has a-- um-- well, a gift. She can sing Frozen, all right. Just-- different. grin

When she was 5 or 6, she would have known classical artists, Tom Lehrer, Weird Al, and some 60's pop music. Abba. Yes, that too-- and maybe America or the BeeGee's.

By the time she was in the age where it mattered, she had a stereo in her room so that she could experiment and find what she liked. She's chosen since to listen to the local pop station occasionally just so that she knows what Katy Perry sounds like. She likes Adele and Lady Gaga. But she still thinks that her dad and I listen to better music (generally) than most of her peers. I take her to hear Gershwin, Sondheim, Schubert and Prokofiev, and her dad takes her to hear Joan Jett, Judas Priest, and Rush, and we all go to Weird Al and jazz.

Most of DD's peer group thinks that this is pretty cool, truthfully-- and always has.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I
    I
    My dd3 went crazy over Frozen when it came out and sang all of the songs, but she was less than 2 years old when her Frozen craze started, so this was probably not due to peer pressure. She has now out grown it. She still likes this one Frozen chanting song. Aside from the Frozen topic, she likes many different types of music, but there is also some music she despises. According to my wife she really likes Coldplay. Classic rock (70's and 80's) puts her to sleep. It is a little trick I have learned.

I like dancing with her to (50's and 60's) music of various genre. She get into that music a lot due to the dancing. She like all of the very active kid dancing activity songs. I think those are good for all kids. You know the "Ring Around the Rosy", "Hokey pokey", and "Bear Hunt" type songs.

Oh, also she is a huge Beatles fan. She love's the Chuck Berry song 'C'est la vie.

Last edited by it_is_2day; 03/28/15 07:32 PM.
    Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM