Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    N
    N
    I have always been a walker so I kept going when pregnant. I typically logged 4-5 miles a day throughout pregnancy, even during the summer heat. The day I had DS I decided to go for a 2 mile walk and thought my contractions were my intestines being angry. Oops.

So far DS has what I think are crazy memory skills but I don't know what normal is. It could be normal for all I know!

I had all my pregnancy care under a midwife and she always encouraged me to be active. Do people get a different message from doctors?

With doctor's encouragement, I continued horseback riding several times per week until 7 months, though I did back off on jumping and riding kooky horses. After 7 months, I switched to just grooming and other chores around the barn so I could still play with me equine friends and continue getting exercise. On non-barn days, I walked about 30 minutes per day.

DS7 is PG and has a killer memory. Really just breathtaking sometimes. Ironically, however, he is incredibly allergic to horses (sob).

P
    P
    If I did all the things that are supposed to improve IQ and memory I wonder what would have happened? Afer all he is already in the top 0.1 %

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by NowWhat
    I had all my pregnancy care under a midwife and she always encouraged me to be active. Do people get a different message from doctors?

My OB and GP cautioned me to cut down strength training on the basis of Canadian care recommendations for moderate exercise during pregnancy. I had to convince them of the safety of maintaining my training using source literature.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by puffin
    If I did all the things that are supposed to improve IQ and memory I wonder what would have happened? Afer all he is already in the top 0.1 %
    yep I'm starting to feel relieved I skipped the exercise etc... Although I did do all the other stuff

N
    N
    LOl - I've never exercised a day in my life (not deliberately, anyway). I did work full time running my daycare until 2 days before my son was born, if that counts. I was just shy of my 40th birthday when I had him, and no-one told me not to exercise - it's just not something I've ever done.

K
    K
    Unfortunately, I was the same way. I had my youngest at 36. Now, I walk for exercise, but I certainly didn't back then.

C
    C
    With my first...I took prenatal water aerobics and loved it. A pool full of pregnant ladies. I walked with audio books outside and did a bit of exercise weekly in the apartment complex gym. The walking and gym were very low intensity.

Maybe I walked a bit with the second...that is kind of a blur...just trying to be pregnant and the mom of a four year old and keep up with his needs. I would have done the water aerobics but we weren't living in the same town and I couldn't find it in our new location.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    (Joint laxity takes on a whole new meaning if you are already hypermobile to begin with, let's just say).

I had so much back/hip pain with DS that I had to go to PT for weeks...I was limping around like an old lady. Not sure if it was related to having two pregnancies so close together. With DD, the older kid, I was just sick and vomiting all the time. I was just trying to make it the 9 months, not thinking about exercise at all. I was envious of the women who could bounce around cheerfully like it was no big deal.

A
    A
    Interesting. I did not exercise at all when I was pregnant with DD, unless you count severe vomiting for months on end. Which does get your heart rate up and your abs working, but probably not in an ideal sort of way.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM