Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline

B
    B
    Originally Posted by MegMeg

From the article:
    By 2020, the country plans to phase out teaching individual subjects such as maths, chemistry and physics, and instead teach students by 'topics' or broad phenomena, so that there's no more question about "what's the point of learning this?"
    Sounds like a way to make single-subject acceleration in math and other subjects impossible, and also to make ability grouping by subject impossible.

B
    B
    That's not an issue in Finland where there is already zero tracking/streaming before age 16.

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    I'd read that Finland doesn't really do gifted education. Culturally, they prefer everyone to be at the same level. They do an excellent job of educating everyone to the same level, but not necessarily to individual levels.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Sounds like a way to make single-subject acceleration in math and other subjects impossible, and also to make ability grouping by subject impossible.
    Agreed!

Some may say that the subject line "School in Finland gets more like homeschool" would be a highly inaccurate assertion, as homeschool students typically enjoy curriculum at their appropriate placement and pacing... not bundles of pre-packaged curriculum determined by other entities.

The job/vocational emphasis of the schooling described in the article seems to counter, or totally dismiss, classical education... a liberal arts education (literally, education for free people)... characterized by the trivium and quadrivium. For those unfamiliar with the concept, the content currently at this Wikipedia page does a fair job of describing it.

T
    T
    I understand that the article only refers to the Finnish lukio, or high school (grade 10 and up) which offers vocational and academic tracks. Up till ninth grade, Finnish schools strive to offer the same high level academic education for all I elementary school (peruskoulu). PISA results show that the high level is real, so high in fact that by 9th grade, half of all students will have been in special ed of some sort because they needed support to cope with the curriculum (Finnish teachers do not teach to the middle). Gifted children, though, are left to coast. There is no provision at all.
    I wonder what's behind the change - a way to dilute vocational and academic tracks? I don't buy the 21st century rhetoric. Learning languages as part of a course on the European Union? Really?

Last edited by Tigerle; 03/25/15 12:27 AM.
    T
    T
    Maybe we should stop using Finland as the gold standard of great education?

Subjects are grouped together for a reason. Why reinventing the wheel? How are these topics superior to subjects? God fordid the US educators pick up on this.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Thomas Percy
    Maybe we should stop using Finland as the gold standard of great education? ... God fordid the US educators pick up on this.
    Agreed!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM