Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 251 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 40 of 102 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 101 102
    K
    K
    ...When you can't print mazes fast enough to keep up with your DS4. And then you run out of ink!

I guess 35 mazes in less than an hour is all we can do until I can get to the store to buy more ink ;-)

U
    U
    Kazzle--try krazydad.com smile

K
    K
    Ultramarina - That was actually the site we were using grin

I ordered him a maze book called The Everything Travel Mazes Book (to save some printer ink;)) He loves it! He fell asleep doing mazes tonight.

When your DD9 totally accepts the heat death of the Universe but chooses to still believe in the Easter Bunny.

Become what you are
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
    ...when your heart aches for your child after she tells you, with tears in her eyes, that today her teacher told her to just be quiet and go sit down after she asked the teacher why one of her problems on her worksheet was checked wrong.

I guess self-advocating only works when the adult educator in the situation gives a hoot and I bet DD won't do that again any time soon. Thanks a lot "educator of the year" *sarcasm!*

FWIW - DD did this at the appropriate time (wasn't interrupting the teacher or anything) and I looked at the problem myself and it was a correct answer.

Oh, no, no. I WAS that child, and that teacher would be apologizing to my kid and correcting it! I even had a college professor tell me that he was "tired of carrying me" when I asked for credit on some test questions that had been marked wrong but weren't wrong. Excuse me, I have a 4.0 GPA, and just because I already have an A on this test, that doesn't mean the answers don't matter -- and besides (you might point this out, as well), somebody else in the class might NEED those points to get a passing grade! If the answer key is wrong, it needs to be fixed for everyone, not just me. And, after all, the point of school is to learn the material -- which won't happen if people are marked wrong for correct answers.

/rant off

When your DD9 totally accepts the heat death of the Universe but chooses to still believe in the Easter Bunny.

Hey, they aren't mutually exclusive, you know. smile

S
    S
    Few days ago I was volunteering in DD's class. Teacher is discussing careers, and says you can even be an astronaut if you set your mind to it.

Most of the class yells "yeah I want to go to space!"

DD: I don't want to! How would you know that the rocket is really good quality and they are checking things properly? It may break down in space and we would come crashing down and die!

Kids turn around and stare. I feel other mom volunteer looking at me and I am thinking I swear do not encourage these morbid thoughts!

Couple of weeks ago, the class was learning about rainforests and the animals that inhibit them. Dinosaurs came up in the conversation and it becomes a topic for awhile. DD asks teacher which dinosaurs are omnivores. Names of dinosaurs are shouted out and her teacher tells her they can look it up together later.
    DD then asks, but how do you know what they ate if are gone, you know, extinct. How do you know if they ate both vegetables and meat, if they had sharp teeth they might still have eaten vegetables. Can poo become a fossil?
    Her teacher at this point really trying to get back to topic on hand.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by slammie
    Can poo become a fossil?

If she didn't get an answer, you can show her this: Coprolite

S
    S
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Can poo become a fossil?

If she didn't get an answer, you can show her this: Coprolite

Perfect, thank you!

S
    S
    DD turned seven this week and we splurged on beast academy 3A for one of her gifts. She loves graphic novels and puzzles and big ideas in math. Today she got it out and read the entire thing. Now she's acting out being an acute triangle and discussing rep-tiles with her dad. She's looking forward to going through again and through the practice book with him.

N
    N
    Few days ago I was volunteering in DD's class. Teacher is discussing careers, and says you can even be an astronaut if you set your mind to it.

Most of the class yells "yeah I want to go to space!"

DD: I don't want to! How would you know that the rocket is really good quality and they are checking things properly? It may break down in space and we would come crashing down and die!

Kids turn around and stare. I feel other mom volunteer looking at me and I am thinking I swear do not encourage these morbid thoughts!

I had to laugh when I read this... because this sounds so like DS.

DS was asking DH what happens if both engines of a twin-engine jet fails after watching the documentary on the Boeing 777... and while we were flying on a clear, sunny day, he suddenly asked DH "What if lightning strikes the plane?"

Page 40 of 102 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM