Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 152 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    I
    If she's skipped a year, does DYS count her by her age for the EXPLORE scores or by the grade...
    The DYS qualification FAQ page is the source of information for this answer: http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...rs___Frequently_Asked_Questions_381.aspx

This is the source for information regarding EXPLORE being discontinued: http://www.act.org/products/k-12-act-explore/. Previous threads here and here.

P
    P
    Oh well, we were just planning to let DD9 take Explore for DYS applications. Looks like we will have to wait for the transition to happen and see if DYS also switches to Aspire or something else for young kids.

OP Offline
    Just got DD's 2015 Explore results:-

English: 22
    Usage/mechanics(1-12): 12
    Rhetorical skills (1-12): 9
    Mathematics: 25
    Reading: 15
    Science: 25

Composite: 22

Big improvement on last year's attempt and highlighted a concern regarding the reading score which was the only one that did not improve.

Very pleased for my DD10 and proud as a parent I have to say as this site is about the only place where I can safely even mention this.

While she will not be one of the award winners this does qualify her for DYS at her grade level which is a year ahead of her age level and she made a vast Improvement over her last year's scores.

Last edited by madeinuk; 03/04/15 04:48 AM.

Become what you are
    M
    M
    Nice scores- good for your daughter! smile

My son's reading score was also very low and out of sync with his other scores, odd. I can't decipher the report (or haven't taken the time to, I guess I should admit) well enough to determine whether there is an issue to be concerned with or just impatience on his part with the passages.

Gee, I wonder where he gets that trait...

L
    L
    Congratulations to your DD!!! smile

P
    P
    We just received our 4th grade DD's explore results. She's got some quite high scores and we're thinking of applying for YS. We're hesitant about spending hundreds of dollars for IQ test, but hardly have any ideas about what kind of works for the portfolio. Is it possible to get in DYS with just high explore scores? She's also got high cogat scores, but it doesn't count as IQ test.

B
    B
    PICD, you can use work samples from your child's classroom or from home for the portfolio as long as it is 2 grades above your DDs actual grade. Also, you can use the cogat test as one of your portfolio items even though it cannot be submitted as a "TEST". Read the application instructions and FAQ carefully. Make sure that the explore scores meet the qualification criteria listed.

P
    P
    Thank you, book4life. Her explore scores are near perfect. But we looked through her school work and there's almost nothing clearly showing 2 grades above. We'll probably wait a few months until the school is over to see if anything worthy is coming out. We'll use cogat as a portfolio item for sure. Thanks for the idea.

Last edited by PICD; 03/16/15 08:19 AM.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM