Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by MichelleC
    Addendum: it seems a common experience that while parents are simply trying to talk about the child, teachers hear "bored" as a direct accusation of incompetence.
    Not surprising, as student engagement is a common standard on teacher evaluation rubrics. They've been trained to hear student boredom as an evaluative comment on their professional competence.

Now that I think about it, it might not be a bad idea to look up the teacher evaluation standards in one's community, make a note of key buzzwords and criteria for master teachers, and tailor one's language to communicate most effectively and positively with teachers in a way that avoids triggering defensiveness and fear, and validates to whatever extent the strengths to which they may aspire.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Addendum: it seems a common experience that while parents are simply trying to talk about the child, teachers hear "bored" as a direct accusation of incompetence.
    Not surprising, as student engagement is a common standard on teacher evaluation rubrics. They've been trained to hear student boredom as an evaluative comment on their professional competence.

Now that I think about it, it might not be a bad idea to look up the teacher evaluation standards in one's community, make a note of key buzzwords and criteria for master teachers, and tailor one's language to communicate most effectively and positively with teachers in a way that avoids triggering defensiveness and fear, and validates to whatever extent the strengths to which they may aspire.

I had a meeting recently with dd2's teacher and other staff and used the verbiage "dd is not engaged in her learning right now". The teacher took it much better than if I had said she's bored or unhappy and cries about coming to school. The meeting actually ended up being very positive resulting with multiple ideas on how to engage dd in the classroom and tailor work for her and her learning style/interests. I try to avoid the word bored at all costs.

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 03/10/15 10:27 PM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by aeh

Great points!

A
    AHEJA44 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Her fine-motor skills are really good for her age, I think. As far as completing tasks...it depends on the task required of her. If she is motivated, she is lightning quick. If I'm asking her to clear the table for dinner and she's reading a book, I might as well be talking to a brick wall! As for responding, I noticed that when she was younger, she needed a lot of time to process her thoughts before she could verbalize her feelings. We had a lot of miscommunication and tantrums before I realized what was happening and gave her the space and vocabulary to better express herself.

I asked the psychologist what the test was like, and it sounds like she had to draw symbols to match other symbols - so I can definitely see why her PSI score might have been low; she was probably trying to draw them to match perfectly...

Anyway, the psychologist said it wasn't anything to be concerned about and that she sees a lot of gifted kids who also score low in PSI due to perfectionism, etc., which makes sense to me.

A
    AHEJA44 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    This is a GREAT list and I wish I had it when I went into the meeting.

Overall, I came away with mixed feelings. I just wish I was a little better prepared. The meeting was very short and really just consisted of the special ed. teacher going over the two goals to be met by the end of the year. When I expressed that the goals seemed very simple, I felt like she gave some push back. I'm very sensitive about coming across as a "tiger mom" so I didn't want to press the issue, but I'm hoping that once she is working with my child regularly, she will get to know her better. Can her goals be revised as she is working on them?

A
    AHEJA44 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    This makes a lot of sense. I feel bad now for telling DD's kindergarten teacher that DD was "bored" at school. In light of this thread, I realize now how graciously her teacher responded at the time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM