Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #208617 01/09/15 01:18 PM
    K
    Kombre Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Hello - I am wondering whether anyone has experience with the CTY summer program for a rising third grader? My DS qualified for their classes and we are driving distance from one of their locations. He is obsessed with math and very talented, but is not getting any math acceleration at school, and insufficient challenge generally (all we have is 2 hours a week of pullout enrichment) so am thinking about this as a summer opportunity for him to have the kind of experience he doesnt get at school. Because it's so crazy expensive, I'd like to hear about others' experiences, particularly with the math and science classes for young kids.

Thank you!

Last edited by Kombre; 01/09/15 02:32 PM.
    I cannot speak to JHU-CTY younger age programs. Sorry.

But I can say that my DD(then)13 did the Neuroscience class in the Intensive Studies program this last summer. This is CTY's resident camp for older kids. My daugher, my wife, and I, all felt it was well worth the expense. DD had so much fun that she even asked to receive no Christmas presents in order to help save up for this coming summer's program.

Hopefully others here can help you with the younger age program information.

Best of luck,
    --S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.
    G
    G
    I hope this response is not too late. I've been lurking around here for the past two years but have never posted. Anyway, my son started CTY online classes in the 2nd grade. Over the last 2 1/2 yrs he has completed grades 3, 4, 6, and pre-algebra. Last summer, following 3rd grade, he took the day class on geometry & spatial sense. The class was held at a local private high school that his school feeds. The short answer is that the class has been the highlight of his young life. He loved every day of it.

I only know about this class. He was on the younger side. Most of the kids were advancing to 5th & 6th. The math portion was not number crunching. A lot of hands on and group work. But it was a great help that he was already familiar with the basics of geometry (6th gr math). I do not recall there being very much homework.

This summer he is doing a data and chance class. He can't wait. good luck.

K
    Kombre Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks to both of you. I've signed both my kids up for the Math Problem Solving class this summer. I'm hoping it goes well! And I'm glad to hear that others have had good experiences with CTY generally.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM