Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 206 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I used to think I would never parent with "Because I said so." Then I had my DD, and well...

I don't use those exact words, but I often say something like, "I am am adult and have the benefit of many years of experience living in the world that you do not. Based on that life experience, I have wisdom that you do not. I have made a decision. And this is the end of the discussion."

It's important to remember that some kids (not all) find arguing and conflict to be interesting and reinforcing for odd reasons that are not productive.

{fervently} AND HOW.

Do-not-engage-do-not-engage-do-not-engage...

For DD, this was a critical life skill-- she's the kind of kid who would (otherwise) quite probably argue with the wrong authority figure at some point down the line, and right or wrong, that seldom ends well. Bigger picture, YK?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    My DD's questioning is a mixed bag, and it's not always obvious why she's doing it at first. So, our default position is to explain. Once the conversation starts going in a circle, that's when it becomes apparent that she's just questioning because she doesn't want to do something, and she's being oppositional. That's when I attempt to end the conversation, with signal phrases like, "I've made my decision," and "This conversation is over," which lets her know from prior experience that to continue to question me will result in privilege losses.

Of course, whenever she's questioning over well-traveled ground, we go right to the aforementioned, "Why are you asking questions when you already know the answers?" and "You already know why." Then I signal my disengagement by becoming monosyllabic: "Stop." "Go." "Now."

As for dealing with other authorities, DW and I have made it abundantly clear to her that when she's under someone else's supervision, we will only intervene in significant circumstances. We will not punish her for misbehavior under their care as long as it's something they can already punish her suitably for, and we will not advocate on her behalf unless it's an important issue, and then only after she has already advocated on her own. Within those boundaries, it's her relationship with them, and she'd better figure it out.

M
    M
    It's important to remember that some kids (not all) find arguing and conflict to be interesting and reinforcing for odd reasons that are not productive.

Some adults too...

U
    U
    For DD, this was a critical life skill-- she's the kind of kid who would (otherwise) quite probably argue with the wrong authority figure at some point down the line, and right or wrong, that seldom ends well. Bigger picture, YK?

Yup. Huge concern here. Really huge.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Mahagogo5

Some adults too...

LOL. So true.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    Originally Posted by Mahagogo5

Some adults too...

LOL. So true.

I am trying to parent my DD away from this too and it's so hard because both SO and I still haven't quite learned to do this with 100% consistency. It's hard.

P
    P
    If the teacher managed to find someone to diagnose and medicate a 4 year old for ADHD she should feel insecure about her decision and the doctor should be censured.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    This is a whole other point Puffin.
    I was just sticking to the fact that there are so many reasons that motivate people to behave as they do. Sometimes if we can work that out we have a better shot at communication.
    We ask our DD, why do you think someone did that or why do you think there is a different viewpoint to yours? She also does debating so at times is forced to defend an argument she doesn't necessarily agree with. It's a very useful way to get her to understand both sides.
    Maybe the kids that like to argue could be funneled into debating!

P
    P
    True. I remind myself that the teacher genuiely thinks they are doing the right thing even if I don't agree and most people really don't get up planning how to make things hard for me or my kids. It helps a little.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM