Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I have to get him into another school

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    Yeah, I think you do. Do you have some options?

C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Not much but we are looking and researching.

Honestly, even if you pull your child from this school, that is the sort of thing (lack of attendance to their duty of care for a child) that someone in your state needs to be made aware of.

I'd send a letter of understanding to the person who "confirmed" this as school policy for you. Then tuck that away until you are gone-gone-gone from there, and turn it over to whoever seems appropriate at the state dept. of education or the local board.

That is uncool for any student. Ever.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    P
    P
    I think it is odd that the teacher doesn't know where the kids are and I think she she should have sent someone to find him. I am also sorry he was upset. But when I read the title of the thread I sassumed someone had left a 5 or 6 year old behind on a field trip. Would you be so upset if you had only had good experiences prior to that?

C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I would still be upset even if I loved the teacher but I wouldn't be as upset if something was actually done. Seeing as how this isn't the first time something has happened (by teachers own omission) and the fact Ds never had any issues until this teacher everything is scrutinized by me. If this were a different teacher I would be just as upset...if this were story were about someone else's kid I would be just as upset. I am passionate about the safety of all kids and the fact that I have 7 year old daughter who goes to this school as well concerns me.

P
    P
    Have you thought about bringing up the safety concerns with the school's PTA? Our local PTAs would be all over it! And they also provide a place where parents can come together as a voice that can sometimes influence school policy on issues like this. Depends on the school and district of course, but it's something I'd definitely consider.

If you continued to get push-back from the school's principal, I'd also consider networking with parents at other local elementaries, see if they have similar concerns, maybe consider taking the issue to your school board or going together as a group to talk with the district administration.

I can't imagine that you'd have any problem at all finding other parents who share your concerns!

polarbear

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Cola, I don't know how your public schools operate, but you might be able to use this to help with petition or hardship transfer. It's the sort of thing that's used for kids who really need a different school because their primary residence is in one school area but they are staying longterm in another or a different school has a particular program they need or other circumstances like that. I used this process because DDs original public school made it clear they could not accommodate her.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM