Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 131 1 2 3 130 131
    OP Offline
    I keep thinking to post some of the snarky and incredibly FUNNY things that my DD says and does-- and she does a lot of this kind of thing-- but they aren't really the kind of thing that belongs in the brag thread, exactly.

Because honestly, most parents would probably be kind of appalled at some of what she comes up with. We tend to be deeply amused instead.

Today, she is converting The Importance of Being Earnest into a musical.

Don't ask me why. It more than likely has something to do with needing to write an AP Lit essay longhand, and finding the Wilde descriptor "in Wagnerian fashion" with respect to doorbell-ringing applied to certain individuals (a sort of Valkyrie fanfare, evidently, which applies only to bill collectors and the indomitable Aunt Augusta)...

well, CLEARLY Wilde would have written a musical if only he'd had the 80's to draw from.

So far she has Aunt Augusta using the Imperial March from Star Wars, we have Algy using the Indiana Jones theme (but alternating with the music for his initial country appearance with a-- uhhh-- sweet acoustic rendition of Green Day's "When I come Around"); Jack with the Rimsky-Korsakov Flight of the Bumblebee, Cecily with Simon and Garfunkel's "Feeling Groovy" and she has selected a pair of numbers for the closing--

"What a Wonderful World" into Cheap Trick's "Surrender." I nearly forgot-- she chose Missing Persons' "Hello, I love you" for Gwendolyn. LOL.

Her opening number? Robert Hazard's "Escalator of Life."

She seems to have a real knack for this kind of thing.

I'm laughing like a maniac. She says that Wilde's words, however, are completely sacred and she would not dream of rewriting a thing. Only... adding some musical numbers to enrich the understanding of Wilde's underlying satire.

cool

So what unquestionably eccentric, but vastly entertaining things have your gifted kids done lately?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    That is hysterical! And very creative:)

Back in the 90's, I saw an amazing play that used part of The Importance of Being Earnest, but kind of modern day with a twist- the baby was left in a alley in London. It was really fun, because it used some of the old dialogue with modern issues. Idk- maybe it's my kind of thing.

Btw, my 2 are always saying and doing crazy stuff. (On a totally different level, mine are little.) a couple days ago, I asked my 2 yr old, "do you want to drive to the park? Or walk?" He said, "Mommy, little boys can't drive." Lol.

OP Offline
    LOL-- at least he didn't OFFER to do the driving... yet, I mean.

Mostly I wanted to start this thread because actually, just day to day LIFE with kids like ours can be pretty intense much of the time, but that isn't always a negative thing.

They're more fun than average in a lot of ways, too.

DD finally admitted with a scowl that she wasn't really planning on doing that essay today, so my instincts were apparently correct. wink

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    This isn't really happy but is a bit quirky.

DS5 is reaching the end of the school year. He is worried about his best friend going to another school and his class next year being full of bullies and girls.

He made up a wild fictional story about the bullies in his class this year making special radios that disseminated their bully agenda with the intent of poisoning the minds of his future boy classmates against him. He and his best friend had to find and destroy these radios so that their classrooms next year would be safe since they would be separated. There was a lot more to it but you get the gist.

After he told me his tale, with illustrations, he said "It isn't real. I know that. The story has the same feelings as real life though. My stories have my feelings inside them"

D
    D
    love this thread already and it's what, 2 minutes old? thanks, HK!

here's one from DD5, anatomy enthusiast and feminist.

the scene: we were walking past a series of shop windows. we passed a bathing suit shop with a display of mannequins in bikinis. DD5 mutters something under her breath.

me: sorry, kid, did you just say something? it was very quiet.
    DD5: it wasn’t very nice – never mind.
    me: hee - did you just say, “show-offs?”
    DD5: yes. [shifts uncomfortably]
    me: what made you say that?
    DD5: the mannequins back there. they are standing in the most ridiculous way – as if they are better than us – which they ARE NOT. they’re so slender, they wouldn’t even have room for their organs if they were real.
    me: that's a very interesting observation.
    DD5: i mean, honestly. human bodies have 78 organs - and those mannequins would have nowhere to put them all.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by KJP
    After he told me his tale, with illustrations, he said "It isn't real. I know that. The story has the same feelings as real life though. My stories have my feelings inside them"

amazing and awesome.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    O
    O
    From the asynchronous files....sound familiar or is just me?

My third grade DS8 finishes up a nice long discussion/debate of the Bill of Rights with regard to freedom of expression. He's putting together a nicely supported conclusion and then stops in the middle of said conclusion and runs to the window.
    Me: What?
    DS8: I want to see if [name of first grade girl who lives next door] wants to play tag.

I could go on but won't.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    love this thread already and it's what, 2 minutes old? thanks, HK!

here's one from DD5, anatomy enthusiast and feminist.

the scene: we were walking past a series of shop windows. we passed a bathing suit shop with a display of mannequins in bikinis. DD5 mutters something under her breath.

me: sorry, kid, did you just say something? it was very quiet.
    DD5: it wasn’t very nice – never mind.
    me: hee - did you just say, “show-offs?”
    DD5: yes. [shifts uncomfortably]
    me: what made you say that?
    DD5: the mannequins back there. they are standing in the most ridiculous way – as if they are better than us – which they ARE NOT. they’re so slender, they wouldn’t even have room for their organs if they were real.
    me: that's a very interesting observation.
    DD5: i mean, honestly. human bodies have 78 organs - and those mannequins would have nowhere to put them all.

My dd would love your dd. I also like the way you responded.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    Originally Posted by KJP

amazing and awesome.

That struck me too, it was a lovely way to put it.

OP Offline
    I just LOVE both of those. laugh

Page 1 of 131 1 2 3 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM