Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 122 of 131 1 2 120 121 122 123 124 130 131
    L
    L
    DD4 visited her grandma last week, and Grandma took her to see a shop with Christmas decorations - a new route, on new streets. Yesterday, DD4 asked if she could take me to the shop with the Christmas decorations. We were coming from the opposite direction, but DD4 remembered all the steps in reverse order and navigated us to the shop. Once we got there she started to beg me for a toy she had seen, which was her devious plan all along!

Originally Posted by LazyMum
    DD4 visited her grandma last week, and Grandma took her to see a shop with Christmas decorations - a new route, on new streets. Yesterday, DD4 asked if she could take me to the shop with the Christmas decorations. We were coming from the opposite direction, but DD4 remembered all the steps in reverse order and navigated us to the shop. Once we got there she started to beg me for a toy she had seen, which was her devious plan all along!

That reminds me of my niece! She was a bit older than your DD, but could navigate amazingly well. This was years ago, but I still remember being astounded she could give turn-by-turn directions. (I'm so "directionally challenged".)

A
    A
    Here's a fun example of DS6 self-advocating when his teacher chose to collect the students' library cards for safe keeping after visiting a bookmobile. The teacher explained her decision to the students as being based on a need to share the library cards. This is what DS said, as relayed to me by the teacher and school director, who happened to be there at the time, and thought it was a hoot.

DS to teacher: "I think I should get to keep my library card to show that I'm able to be responsible for myself. I also think we need to learn to respect the value of private property."

Love it!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    G
    G
    Our school had a Thanksgiving luncheon this week, and DD12 walked up to me, and said she had made a mistake on a craft. She explained that everyone was supposed to create an ornament on which they wrote what they were thankful for. DD said she didn't realize the ornaments were for kindergartners, and she had written "I am thankful for net neutrality". Well, maybe some 5 year olds might appreciate the thought.

Last edited by greenlotus; 11/24/17 07:51 AM.
    R
    RRD Offline
    R
    DS7 on how to remember the cardinal points:

"I use 'Never Enter Santa's Washroom' or occasionally, I use 'Never Eat Shredded Wheat'"

I don't think he invented the first and I know he didn't invent the second, but I loved the casual use of "occasionally". Both DSs have always used that kind of vocabulary, even from a young age.

And at DS6's parent teacher meeting: The teacher's only complaint was that he sometimes/often tries to read his own book during class, such that he isn't paying attention.

And after reading A Passion for Elephants (The Real Life Adventure of Field Scientist Cynthia Moss), DS6 asked me if I thought elephants would be extinct in about 20 years. When I asked him why, he explained that he wanted to work to protect elephants when he is old enough. He figured 26 was about right.

There's some pretty fun stuff going on with DSs these days. Isn't it great to watch them develop? smile

C
    C
    “Occasionally”. Cute!

My ds12 when he was just learning to talk learned mama, dada, his name for his brother, and basic nouns and verbs, no, and I swear his next two words were “actually” and “because”.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    DS to teacher: "I think I should get to keep my library card to show that I'm able to be responsible for myself. I also think we need to learn to respect the value of private property."

Love it!
    Yes! Kudos to your kid for speaking up, and kudos to you. IMO, this is a kid being raised right, and the world would be a better place if there were more like him! smile

M
    M
    Originally Posted by RRD
    There's some pretty fun stuff going on with DSs these days. Isn't it great to watch them develop? smile

Yes, it is.

I do wish, however, that DD7 would take it easier on reinforcing sustainable living practices.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by Mana
    Originally Posted by RRD

Yes, it is.

I do wish, however, that DD7 would take it easier on reinforcing sustainable living practices.

We get that too! And DS6 also has a very (very!) strong moral compass. He gets it from me, but even I find he can go a bit overboard.

L
    L
    It's a public holiday today. At 9am I said to DD4.5 'Oh no! You're going to be late for school!'. She looked worried and confused. I laughed and said I was joking, it was still a holiday. So she says sarcastically 'Oh no, Mum! You're going to be late for work!' and starts laughing at me (I have no job). Solid burn, kiddo. They say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but I thought it was a pretty smart comeback.

Page 122 of 131 1 2 120 121 122 123 124 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM