Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    When I talk to schools, I start by bring up DDs intelligence just as another fact about her (along with her weaknesses, challenges, interests, personality, etc.). I try to make an honest picture for them. Then I watch for several common responses:

* Ignore her characteristics. This is the biggest red flag for me. Because if they're not interested in discussing how the characteristics of my kid match their school, it's not the right match. Be careful though, some schools will fool you by telling you all about what you get for your money, making it sound like they care, but they aren't addressing YOUR kid.

* Ignore the LOG characteristic. If they talk about how they're a good fit for everything but the LOG, that's also an issue. Because it's a part of who she is and they are clearly uncomfortable about that or unable to deal with it.

* If they get defensive, uh oh. A lot of the statements in the OPs list sound quite defensive. Whether it's because they've been assaulted by special snowflake-itis or because they just have an entrenched attitude, the underlying messing is "don't question or challenge us."

* If they have a logical response of any kind (we do 'x' and here's why it works for us or here's how we handle intellectual diversity from both ends), that's good. It's good even if what they do isn't the perfect answer (what, your tiny private school doesn't have self-contained PG classes?). Because a) they are aware that kids come in different flavors of brightness and b) they've thought about what that means. I particularly appreciate when they talk about what they do for bright kids, but also talk about what they do to support kids across domains (bright, struggling, disorganized, emotional, social). A caring school that supports every kid should be able and willing to support your kid.

* If they tell you "we think she might be bored" or "we can't accommodate her" that's the easiest answer, because there's no BS and you can strike them off your list. I wish more schools would be so honest. I have heard both of these from schools I've talked to.

Frankly I'm not sure if the 'what do you do if a kid doesn't fit?' question is quite fair. The point of private school is that it's a choice, so there should be a good fit. I know that's unsatisfactory from a parent standpoint, but the school does have the right to say 'here's how we operate, will you be a cog in our machine or the squeaky wheel?'

We have two local privates, very highly regarded, that I know provide superb educations for many kids. However when I talked to them the attitude seemed to be "you need to go along to get along here" and "we are so awesome that there aren't ever any problems."

C
    C
    Agree with previous posts. Thinking back (we are on school three for our 8 year old), there were red flags coming from demon administrator that we didn't catch during our initial conversations. Also, we weren't experienced enough (or even aware he was gifted, not just advanced, let alone how much) to ask questions about how they would handle him being so far ahead of the other first graders. We trusted blindly and then were on the hook with the school by the time we started to learn. Kudos to you for being prepared!

Regarding the fit question, it might be adjusted to ask what they've done in the past for children who are x, y or z different. Ask, then listen carefully. :-)

In our case, there is a sharp contrast when we look at current school administrator (also of a private school). She is a strong advocate for accommodating all kids and sets things up/clears things out of the way to make that happen. It's arguably a less "rigorous" school than the prior one (also ~10k/year less!), but the positive attitude and flexible support makes it so much better for kids like ours.

W
    W
    I would find a school that groups the gifted children together.

I have seen just two videos about the Davidson (Institute) Academy. I think you can view them using You Tube, under the videos category on the web. Davidson is a great example of what you are looking for, wanting and needing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM