Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    B
    B
    In terms of 504/IEP and ADHD, this is a good article.
    10 Common Myths That Some Schools Purvey
    ADDitude Magazine fall 2011
    Matthew Cohen, JD

I don't know how to link it here but if you google it will come up. Even to get an IEP, kids with ADHD just have to have their educational performance adversely affected compared to their peers (this generally means they are slow to get work done, or are not getting the work done). The school district is arguing with us about that as well, but all they need to do (according to the State) is to document how slow DD is and how that impacts her. Grades/achievement scores are a factor, but not the only thing. Right now she has a 504, which is generally for kids who have a documented disabililty requiring accommodations which could be anything (like a kid who is in a wheelchair and needs help with doors). Generally IEPs are for "more" impaired kids who need more in terms of actual specialized services/instruction.

C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    WEll he also has 3 learning disabilities so the IEP is also for speech therapy, executive function disorder, motor apraxia and dysgraphia.

B
    B
    Sorry I forgot to comment on your other post. Our experience has been that many teachers (and even principals) act like catty Jr. High girls and take it personally whenever a parent makes a complaint (or sometimes even a suggestion). It really is a difficult situation to navigate and you have to think big picture--as in, will your efforts improve a situation and get your child what he needs long term, or just change things for a couple months, etc.? Then you pick your battles. I'm not sure what happened with that teacher (sorry can't remember), but if you are getting an IEP or certain services and it wouldn't have happened without your advocacy, then you did the right thing.

C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    He as continuously getting in trouble, missing out on fun activities and getting low scores because of "illegible" work or "half-assed" worked. I knew there was something going on but according to the teacher "He probably has ADHD. My kid has ADHD and is medicated and she's such a good student now. I bet the same would be true for "DS". Instead we decided to get him tested because my gut told me something else was going on. Turned out to be Executive Function Deficit, Motor Apraxia and Dysgraphia along with ADHD. When the occupation therapist during the IEP meeting told her about the accommodations to help him with writing her exact words were "we need to get this kid ready for the real world" and "he isn't failing, he just gets lazy". I wouldn't have really bothered except he had to watch the other kids get to play outside, get a treat, etc while he had to "try" and rewrite a number of items because it was illegible. Turned out he couldn't control it like a child with a crooked spine can't help limping.

B
    B
    If she was refusing to accept a medical diagnosis, then you did the right thing. Just to note, though, my DS has the same issue and he CAN get lazy. The school needs to make accommodations but I also told them if it looks like he's not trying or he gets excessively sloppy, they should push him a bit. In other words, make accommodations, but there also needs to be some expectations based on what we know he CAN do when he tries. I'm not saying that is going on with your DS (for all I know he always does his best), but it's possible for there to be a gray area, where the child has a disability, but also isn't putting in the required effort. If he was doing his best, but she was keeping him from fun activities, obviously that is wrong and you need to stand up for him.

C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Oh the kid can get lazy for sure. And I can tell the difference. It's in his paperwork from the neuropsych evaluation that he should be given positive reinforcement for trying even if the outcome isn't that great because it's "obvious he has been inundated with negative outcomes for quite some time that he has learned helplessness". their words exactly. Her words were "why should I reward him for something he should already be doing?"....um because he CANT do it. Theres a difference between Cant and Wont and after numerous tests and long hours and a few thousand dollars it was confirmed he CANT do it.

C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Well I just spoke w/ the principal. She stated that when a child has to go to another classroom to do work, they just go and find a classroom. Their own teacher doesn't know where they are and there is no communication in regards to that. So his teacher didn't even know where he was. The other teacher states he left before she could remind him there was an assembly. The principal also stated they just put up gates around the playground area and although it isn't locked it isn't like "someone could just walk in and grab him".

F
    F
    wow that is totally NOT an acceptable response. Is this a public school? (not that should matter). The school is entrusted with our kids. They are to know where the children in their care is at all times. I am appalled at that principal's response. Time to take it to the superintendent or even to the school board.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    Didn't see this when I wrote the post on the other thread.

I agree the attitude is unacceptable and you should look at your options. The processes are slack and if the principal accepts that then it will flow down into the teaching staff, which it obviously has.

Sorry Cola. It's a really bad situation

C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Yep she said it was up to the student to locate another class with an open computer. I've never heard of that.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM