Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    Chana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    ljoy, lots of nice resources that I know my daughter will like. Thanks

P
    P
    Another one for middle school up is elements of mathatics fundamentals.

B
    B
    We're doing a combo of Derek Owens PreAlgebra at an accelerated (2x) pace and Critical Thinking Company's Discovering Geometry for dd9. We do/ have done Alcumus, Zaccaro, and Creative Problem Solving in School Mathematics. Dd does a lot of math on her own, so I'm really gap-filling. AoPS PreA would not be a good fit here, either. She loves Murderous Maths, though.

We came from Singapore 5, did a quick spin through Math Mammoth 6(about 4 months), and will probably move on to Jacobs Algebra when we finish Derek Owens. We could have skipped the Math Mammoth (or maybe went straight to the Jacobs), but I guess I don't feel like it was wasted time. It really has helped dd learn to "read to learn". I also wanted more time to work on math facts.

If you didn't want to full course for Derek Owens PreA, you can get away with just the workbooks (about $20 each for 2). The answers are in the back for the initial problem set. The tests, exams, and extra homework pages and answers for those three things are on the flash drive.

ETA, videos for the whole program are here: http://www.lucideducation.com/?p=PrealgebraPre.php

They are Mr. Owens walking through the problems, but he makes things clear, works neatly (unlike Khan Academy), and his videos are short.

ETA: I just re-read your OP (but not the whole thread). Why not stick with Fred?

Last edited by Bean; 03/05/15 09:35 AM.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Another one for middle school up is elements of mathematics fundamentals.

I have been told in private the eIMACs really does not want 9 year olds. My dd had scored very high on the placement test, but I was waved off by a mom whose son had tried it before 10 and had a bad experience. I think it could be a really good fit for some kids, but Elements folks really want the maturity as well as the ability.

Last edited by Bean; 03/05/15 09:40 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    We went from SM 5 to Discovering Math/Dimensions Math with our first, and from 6 to same with the next child, each at about age 9. It's the middle school series from SM. Four courses of integrated pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, and beginning geometry. We've found it quite good, but not realistic for independent work. Parental support was definitely required at the younger ages, though after about 11 or 12, it started to become easier.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    What about this:

http://cty.jhu.edu/descartes/about/

I haven't used it. I've just seen flyers around. It looks like a game.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM