Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #211871 03/04/15 03:57 PM
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I am so upset right now. Got a call from my mom that sometime today DS9 w/ ADHD issues and other learning disabilities was sent to another class to finish work. When he was finished he returned to his class only to find that the door was locked, lights were out and class was gone. he knew nothing about this. So he went outside to look on the playground. He was wandering school grounds, outside, by him self (and this school is open so there aren't gates between the school grounds and "outside world") and it wasn't until a janitor found him that he found out all classes were in an assembly. This is just part of a long slew of issues I have had with this teacher. I am appalled. DS had a full blown panic attack because he thought "the school had left him". Do I have any legal rights as a parent as to the safety of my child? I'm in Arizona. Thanks.

A
    A
    I would want to reach out to a lawyer to see how the awful incident relates to child neglect or abandonment in your state's laws. That should NEVER happen!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    B
    B
    Reminds me of our district--kids wander everywhere. I know of a couple kindergarteners who actually left the school building without anyone knowing, and one of them walked home 2 blocks, with street crossings! Of course, the school acted like it was no big deal. We were supposed to pick up one of DS's friends (first grade) last year--the parents sent a note saying we were going to pick him up by the back door. The kid left by a different door and didn't see us so started walking to our house by himself. Of course, we weren't there, Dh was at the school looking for him! Dh reported the kid missing and about 10 min. later I saw the principal and teacher walking together down the sidewalk toward our house, looking for him. Umm...maybe they could have split up, gone different ways, and walked a bit faster? Ugh. Another parent saw him wandering the neighborhood, picked the kid up in her car and brought him back to the school.

Sorry this happened, but I bet the school wouldn't think it's a big deal (if it's anything like ours). Kids as young as 5 just stroll down the halls unsupervised.

G
    GGG Offline
    G
    This is the stuff of nightmares. Go to the top, Superintendent, principal.

Q
    Q
    Poor kid - it's awful that he had such a scare. I would definitely speak to the principal about how upsetting this incident was to your DS. If his ADHD is disabling enough, then you can try to write into his IEP that for his safety he must be accompanied by an adult at all times. That way, you would have legal recourse if he is left alone again in a classroom.

Our district is similar to Blackcat's (but without incidents of kids actually leaving school grounds)in that even 5-year-old Kindergarteners are allowed to travel the hallways as long as they have a pass. DS used to be the designated errand boy for his class to the school office back in K. Because DS was subject accelerated for math in 2nd grade, he occasionally came back to an empty classroom due to assemblies or other activities. A few times he ended up having to go ask at the school office when he either forgot or didn't pay attention during morning announcements.

C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Is there anything legally I could do about this? I went to the super intendant, who directed me to the principal. This was last year when this same teacher failed to let us know that our son had been physically assaulted by another child - and I don't mean he had his hair pulled but he was punched in the chest right on the sternum and kicked in the head by this "bully". We were told the situation would be handled. Then everything else that had happened and now this. I just can't handle it anymore. Can I legally take him out of that class? It's the only gifted 4th grade class there is.

M
    M
    Cola - can you change schools, or even homeschool the rest of the year? It sounds like the school /class is a very bad fit for you and your son. Gifted issues aside, you need to know he is safe and if you aren't getting that reassurance you need to look elsewhere. As you have a history of combatance with the teacher and suspect retaliation I don't think legal recourse is going to do anything except make your sons life miserable, there may be an innocent explanation - perhaps the teacher told your son and he forgot, is that plausable?

C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Yes that is always plausabile and something we have discussed.

C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I don't know what I'm doing I'm so frustrated

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    It was a scary thing to have happen Cola. How is your DS?

I am a little surprised the class he was in didn't take him along to assembly with them or was he alone?

On top of all the other dramas you have been having this must just feel like the last straw.

What are your options with changing schools or homeschooling or something else because you do not need to have this stress and be worried about what is happening at school all day. You have had some recent success which is great. Do you think it's enough to keep your DS in place?

I know nothing about your legal avenues. I certainly would address it with the Principal and the IEP team as it isn't acceptable. Beyond that the legal stuff might just be ever more stress, but it's your call.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM