Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    G
    GGG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    I have been looking through previous posts, looking for this answer, I apologize if it's been answered one hundred times already. I am wondering if anyone has experience using Redbird Math (EPGY) for a four year old.

My just turned four year old is obsessed with math. I looked up our state standards and he's speeding through 1st grade math and interested in higher math, however, there are so many gaps because he's doing this mostly on his own and some days I spend time with him actually sitting down and addressing his interests. Most days, he is asking us math questions from morning until night as we go about our day. I do not have a strong math foundation and have not been trained in Common Core Curriculum. I am worried about these gaps and how it could affect him later.

L
    L
    Hi GGG, I really think it depends on the kid. DD was 8 when she first tried EPGY, and although she used it for a while, she found it to be slow moving (even on the gifted setting) and glitchy. We recently tried Redbird since we still have a subscription, and it was VERY glitchy. Both were a "fail" for DD (who now prefers AoPs).

DS started on Dreambox at 5. I'd personally prefer Dreambox for a younger child, but as he has advanced past 3rd grade, he does not like the format as well. So it may work for you for a while.

G
    GGG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thank you so very much for replying. I'll look up Dreambox!

G
    GGG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    We have tried DreamBox for three days (there was a 14 day free trial). It worked well for a few days, but today he said, "I need a game with more math and less games."
    What is AoPs?

L
    L
    Yep, AoPS Beast Academy has books starting at about the 3rd and 4th grade level (and many books beyond). Of course, many around here have tried them for younger children, but, again - depends on the child.

Have you looked into ALEKS ? It's what we use in my house, your child can go as fast and as far as they want to during your subscription. It's a spiral based, "intelligent" program that I think is just awesome.

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Positives to ALEKS are that they have a pretest, fill-in model. You take an assessment and then it only gives you the topics you don't know. Plus, if you're getting questions correct, it only gives you a few before you move on. It's also quite affordable.

The negative is that all the teaching is through wrong answers. That is, if you don't know an answer or get one wrong, it will then explain the method to you. This turned out to be surprisingly stressful for our DD, trigger her perfectionism. But that's specific to a particular kid and can't be generalized to everyone.

A
    ACW
    Unregistered
    ACW
    Unregistered
    A
    We tried both EPGY and the "new" Redbird with my 4-year-old. Redbird is heavy on repetition and fancy graphics, and in my opinion, moves at a very slow pace. They started with a pretest for DD4. Even passing all questions in the pretest, she had to go through the following levels: Count 1-4, Count 1-5, Count 1-7, Count 1-10 (this is where she started answering all the questions wrong out of boredom), Count 0-10, Represent 0-2, Represent 0-5, Represent 0-8, Represent 0-10. Each level had at least 5 questions. This is just the first unit. DD was practically banging her head against the table. It may have been different if I had started her at a higher level of math, but I was silly enough to think that the program would be more responsive. We switched back to EPGY.
    The presentation of EPGY is a bit dry (at least it seems like it to me, not that DD complained), but it moves from concept to concept very quickly upon mastery. It flies by the areas which have been mastered, and adjusts the pace slightly when more reinforcement is needed.
    That said, DD does do Dreambox happily. It's the closest we'll ever get to having a hamster in the house.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Figure I might as well add here what I just posted elsewhere, which is that Singapore Math is planning to release a digital subscription version of Primary Math grades 1-5 this year. It looks like it is designed for homeschooling parents to do with their children, so not an independent program, nor a computer-adaptive program, but a curriculum-that-is-online. But it should be as flexible as you want it to be, since the parent-teacher controls what and how quickly you do. It includes animated teaching modules, so you don't have to have prior knowledge of the Singapore method to teach it.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    G
    GGG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thank you all so much!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM