Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    We started school at 4 (and young 4 too). We use a gifted private school. My kid is so much happier now. He goes to bed at a reasonable time (because he is tired and stimulated). He has friends he can relate to. I am so glad we did this.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Good grief. They've got to stop pretending this study has any relevance to life today. This was SO LONG AGO when it comes to research on child outcomes.
    Any study looking at long-term outcomes of children entering school early will be looking at decisions made decades ago.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    And what Friednman is doing is a data trawl. That is different to setting a research question and collecting data to specifically answer that question. There are so many problems with longitudinal cohort studies but if they are set up with an end in mind and those potential problems identified and mitigated useful data can be developed. I am not convinced that was the case here.

Is entering school good or bad? Depends on the child, their family and the school.

U
    U
    1922, people. The study began in 1922. When the kids were already 12 years old.

Bostonian, I work in this area, and the professors I work with would laugh me out of the room if I suggested that it would be reasonable to make educational policy decisions based on findings from children who started school in 19 freaking 15.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Cola
    My son started school early. He may not enjoy school but school isn't his life so he is learning to offset that negativity with the positivity in his life. If school made all kids that miserable to the point the couldn't ever bounce back then I wouldn't be ready to celebrate my ten year wedding anniversary with the most wonderful man I've ever met or advocating for my two happy healthy parent in a job I find stimulating and rewarding...so...I guess what I'm saying is that you are only as miserable as you allow yourself to be.

I think expecting our children to make a conscious choice to not be miserable when they are bored and bullied for a substantial part of their waking hours is a little unfair. This especially applies to kids with tendencies towards anxiety or depression or are 2e.

Since for some time in NZ early enrolment has been forbidden the only person I know who started before their fifth birthday is my stepmother. In her case it was a mistake because she was a perfectly average student who just happened to learn to read early because she had a slightly older brother and a mother who always wanted to be a teacher. For a gifted kid I would say staying out of school as long as possible may not e such a bad thing. I think I would prefer normal entry and skipping here because preschools don't do cademics. Other places early entry would be better.

Last edited by puffin; 03/02/15 08:56 PM.
    I
    I
    I never have any problem with any study good or bad. Peer review and follow up studies will tend to discount the absurd over time. The problem I have is that a study will spin off a frenzy of popular sciences articles that site a single possibly good possibly bad study as gospel.

The question being asked is a good one that deserves a good answer.

I agree with a few others here that have alluded to alternative hypothesis's. If the correlation is true it still does not prove causality. Is it the early reading, the desk time and lack of play time, the letdown later when they are no longer allowed to move ahead with their education?

My preferred hypothesis is that maybe it is the formal education that is harmful. Extended time in desks with less time playing seems to be a bad idea at any age, but particularly when very young. Academics should be fun and playful.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    1922, people. The study began in 1922. When the kids were already 12 years old.

Bostonian, I work in this area, and the professors I work with would laugh me out of the room if I suggested that it would be reasonable to make educational policy decisions based on findings from children who started school in 19 freaking 15.

What ultra said.

U
    U
    I think expecting our children to make a conscious choice to not be miserable when they are bored and bullied for a substantial part of their waking hours is a little unfair. This especially applies to kids with tendencies towards anxiety or depression or are 2e.

OT, but I have to agree with this. Expecting children to buck up and be happy every day for 6+ h/day in poor circumstances seems unrealistic. A certain amount of grin and bear it is necessary for all of us, but there does come a point. I have a child who is happy and easygoing by nature, and he has been very patient with school, but after a point, it's too much.

G
    GGG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thanks, Dude! I couldn't find the reference to the study, a friend of mine sent it to me with good intentions for sure, but instead of replying with my personal thoughts, I want to address the study. Such an irritating article.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM