Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 206 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    catova Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    Is it possible that the gaps will need to be covered for all students (regardless of acceleration) if they appear in high school classes? It wouldn't seem that those taking h.s. classes along with your DD would have covered Common Core during their math classes, either.

Also, couldn't gaps be addressed if they appear when the students take the pre-tests or practice exams for the SAT or ACT? I'm guessing everyone will be the same boat.

Yes, you are right, that's my point...gaps will likely appear evident for all current 8th graders through 10th graders who will end up taking the CC 11th grade math test, with the current 8th graders that were accelerated appearing to be the most impacted, because the HS has at least started implementing some changes to curriculum for those who are taking algebra I and geometry...though they are not fully aligned with CC yet...whereas the middle school did no changes because it's phasing out algebra and geometry all together at the end of this year and no longer offer them. But my district seems to think that every school district is as behind as it is, which I really don't think is true. As for current high school students - The first round of SBAC tests this spring is the starting baseline, so there's no panic here, it appears, if the kids don't 'do well'. And unlike the old CA annual state tests (STAR) that were given every grade 3 - 11 and by subject for algebra, geometry, etc. now there is no math test btwn 8th grade and 11th grade. The 11th grade math test covers it all. From what I can tell, current 11th graders have no change in their math trajectories (again, their SBAC test scores from Spring 2015 will be baseline and they are unlikely to be penalized by universities, for ex.). As far as current 10th graders...well, the few parents I know with kids that age say their students will take the SAT before the format converts next spring, and they also feel their kids will get a 'pass' due to the newness of the SBAC which will only be in its 2nd year when their kids take it 11th grade. But when I read comments about other districts /states where they are clearly way ahead in implementing the CC for their current 8th and 9th graders, I panic a bit.

C
    catova Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by cricket3
    In our district, they are not expecting the current algebra2/trig classes or above to have covered common core material. My DD is in the first geometry common core class in our district (and was in the first algebra common core last year, and the first middle school common core classes before that). We are in NYS, where final exams in math include a state-wide regents exam. DD's class has been given both the "old" regents and the new common-core regents exam for algebra, and they will also take both for geometry (including a local exam, which is expected to be the most rigorous, though no one has seen the common-core aligned geometry regents yet). The higher score of the two regents exams is considered the "official" score. As far as I know, the older classes are not expected to take any common-core aligned regents exams, and the classes behind my daughter's will only take the common-core aligned exam. I think both were given to my daughter's class mainly because theirs was the first year to take the common core aligned exam and no one knew exactly what to expect. (For the record, the general feeling was that the common core regents was more difficult, mainly because it required much more writing and explanation).
    ETA: I meant to say that our district has refused/halted any and all math acceleration (not that there was much here before) for the past several years, I assume in part due to these curricular changes. (There were also reportedly problems like those alluded to in previous posts, where highly accelerated kids were found to be struggling in later HS and early college math classes. At least, that's what they tell us).

So, you confirmed my concern that other states are light years ahead of my district in terms of implementing curriculum. In CA, there was no state testing last year except practice for the new CC test. I wouldn't much care except I'm not thrilled that the new SAT coming out next Spring is supposed to align with the CC. I am trying to get my district to actually acknowledge that the students who are currently accelerated will be mismatched a bit when testing time comes around for them in 11th grade and that the district should plan for that - the sooner the better.

N
    NGR Offline
    N
    I have about three years experience with CC. My daughter in middle school is on the "accelerated" track which is traditional Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2, etc. My younger child, in elementary school, is using CC math. He won't be allowed to switch into traditional math until 7th grade Algebra even if he is a child prodigy (he's not). The district won't allow it. The lower level kids stay in CC math throughout middle school and high school and will take the corresponding PARCC test. The gifted kids will take traditional math and the PARCC test to go along with that track. It is my experience that CC is math is a lower level math. It isn't more rigorous. It's just more confusing. It's supposed to teach at a deeper level, which is just too slow for gifted kids.

What makes CC different and confusing is the new methods the standards prescribe. For example, fractions are taught using a number line instead of a pie chart and multiplication is taught using the breakdown method. To pass a CC type standardized test would require some test preparation. The PARCC test also requires the student to type answers in complete sentences and to think about the answers in a different way. I think it's trickery and too confusing for elementary aged children. It's not an accurate measure of math skills, writing maybe, but not math.

I would try to avoid it if possible. The SAT will be CC aligned in 2016, but the ACT will not be.

I hope this is helpful.

M
    M
    I am not really up to speed with CC other then what I have seen on here and links provided and reading some local news. Our state opted out of CC. My ds12 in 6th grade is taking AlgI, Geom, AlgII in middle school. If our state has opted out of CC I don't see high school being a problem (I assume).

With the SAT aligning to CC in 2016 How will this effect my ds in a school system that opted out of CC.

I'm just wondering if anyone else in is this same boat?

Last edited by mecreature; 02/26/15 11:18 AM.
    N
    NGR Offline
    N
    The SAT will be tough for your son if he's had no exposure to cc and PARCC. Wouldn't do it unless he has test prep. I can think of better use of his time.

I'm waiting to see what the opt out movement and the SAT changes will bring. The backlash is load and vocal.

C
    catova Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by NGR
    I have about three years experience with CC. My daughter in middle school is on the "accelerated" track which is traditional Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2, etc. My younger child, in elementary school, is using CC math. He won't be allowed to switch into traditional math until 7th grade Algebra even if he is a child prodigy (he's not). The district won't allow it. The lower level kids stay in CC math throughout middle school and high school and will take the corresponding PARCC test. The gifted kids will take traditional math and the PARCC test to go along with that track. It is my experience that CC is math is a lower level math. It isn't more rigorous. It's just more confusing. It's supposed to teach at a deeper level, which is just too slow for gifted kids.

What makes CC different and confusing is the new methods the standards prescribe. For example, fractions are taught using a number line instead of a pie chart and multiplication is taught using the breakdown method. To pass a CC type standardized test would require some test preparation. The PARCC test also requires the student to type answers in complete sentences and to think about the answers in a different way. I think it's trickery and too confusing for elementary aged children. It's not an accurate measure of math skills, writing maybe, but not math.

I would try to avoid it if possible. The SAT will be CC aligned in 2016, but the ACT will not be.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you for your response...yes, your experience is helpful. Question - when you say that gifted kids taking the traditional path will take the corresponding PARCC test, could you explain further ? Here in CA, I think it used to be that kids would take the CA state test for Algebra and geometry in the year that they took algebra and geometry (so for an accelerated math student, that would be in 7th and 8th grade). With SBAC (CA equivalent of PARCC), there is no algebra subject test or geometry subject test anymore, no matter what grade you are when take those subjects; students will take SBAC for CC 6,7,8 in those years, and then no further math testing until 11th grade, at which time they'll get tested on everything (alg, geometry, etc). So when DD is in 11th grade she will have had zero math classes taught under the CC curriculum but will be taking that test (again, our local HS does not anticipate it's algebra 2 will be fully aligned with CC until current 7th graders get it). I am glad to know that ACT is not changing format next spring. Seriously thinking of having my DD take SATs this spring for kicks and future reference/comparison. She's on the low end of HG based on the one IQ test she ever took (WISC IV) but math has never been difficult for her...she really does seem to just 'get it', CC or not.

N
    NGR Offline
    N
    You definitely need to run your questions by a college counselor. It can be very risky to take a test in high school without preparation because it's all out there. I don't see any benefit to having any child take a standardized test if they haven't had CC math.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM