Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 259 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    G
    GGG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G

I read the bits about an 80-year old longitudinal study, and my spidey-sense said, "Ternan." That appears to be valid, as this would appear to be the Mr. Friedman of the University of California (Riverside) mentioned in the article: http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~friedman/longabstract.html

Kern, M. L. & Friedman, H. S. (2008). Early educational milestones as predictors of lifelong academic achievement, midlife adjustment, and longevity. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology.

This study gathered follow-up data from the Terman Life Cycle Study (N = 1,023) to examine how age at first reading and age at school entry relate to grade school academic performance, lifelong educational attainment, midlife health and mental adjustment, and longevity across eight decades. Early reading was associated with early academic success, but less lifelong educational attainment and worse midlife adjustment. Early school entry was associated with less educational attainment, worse midlife adjustment, and most importantly, increased mortality risk. Personality, midlife adjustment, and educational attainment partially mediated the school entry-longevity association (controlling for age, sex, personal characteristics, and home environment factors). Although the sample is limited in some respects and care should be taken in generalizing the results, findings do confirm the importance of lifespan approaches in understanding the effects of education on individual patterns within social contexts.

That final phrase "within social contexts" seems important. If you think things have changed a bit since the 1930s, this data set is not for you.

C
    C
    Maybe, just maybe, the issue is that they start school reading, then spend the next several years being held back while others catch up... setting up negative patterns for the rest of their lives? Making them feel badly about themselves or, in some situations, superior? Neither of which would lead to good longer-term outcomes.

Or, perhaps there's something to the point of not trying to turn all four and five year olds into mini-academics, sitting in neat rows for hours each day. I can see that, and it doesn't seem the way we're heading.

Maybe I'm just cynical.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    Prof Howard Friedman, a psychologist at the University of California, analysed their progress over 80 years and found that “early school entry was associated with less educational attainment, worse midlife adjustment and, most importantly, increased mortality risk”.

Friedman is interested in health analysis and has written a book called The Longeviety Project. The above is a quote from the linked newspaper article so it may or may not be what Friedman said. If it is, the findings are at odds with other studies showing that increased educational attainment in associated with decreased mortality risk. These include the Framingham Offspring study:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8475012

http://www.rwjf.org/en/library/research/2012/12/why-does-education-matter-so-much-to-health-.html
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080311081149.htm

The research on accelerated students suggests that they have increased educational attainment so hopefully longer life but this is all correlational.
    The best way to sell a book is to tout the opposite of current thinking. Not to be cynical.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    And then I find this interview with Friedman that makes a little more sense.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2011/12/longer-life.aspx

"We were amazed to uncover lots of evidence overall that it is not random who will become ill. Rather, there are large differences in susceptibility to injury and disease. Some of these are a function of personality. Others are tied to social relations, including marriage, family, friendship and religious observance. Most eye-opening is our finding that the risk factors and protective shields do not occur in isolation, but bunch together in patterns. For example, the unconscientious boys — even though very bright — were more likely to grow up to have poor marriages, to smoke and drink more, achieve less education, and be relatively unsuccessful at work. And they died at younger ages. Such health risks and relationship challenges, such as divorce, are usually studied independently, which I think is a big mistake. Conversely, certain personality constellations predicted more achievement, better social relationships, and other elements of thriving that led to longer, healthier lives."

Here he is distinguishing between unconscientious bright kids, boys in this example, and the rest of the sample. Underachievers anyone? Disengaged? That fits with the data from acceleration that says students who aren't given appropriate educationL opportunities are more likely to drop out of have lower educationL attainment.

B
    B
    I have not read the research behind the published statements. I tend to discount people who make extreme assertions, such as saying that early school entry can cause premature death. I think there is a positive correlation between parental income and child life expectancy (I know that correlation between a person's income and his own life expectancy is positive), and there is a positive correlation between educational attainment and longevity. It would be surprising if gifted children from affluent families have lower life expectancy.

Doesn't letting a child "develop naturally" mean not slowing them down?

Pupils should not be subjected to full classroom tuition until the age of six to off-set the effects of premature “adultification”, it was claimed.
    Dr Richard House, a senior lecturer at Roehampton University’s Research Centre for Therapeutic Education, said gifted pupils from relatively affluent backgrounds suffered the most from being pushed “too far, too fast”.
    He quoted a major US study – carried out over eight decades – that showed children’s “run-away intellect” actually benefited from being slowed down in the early years, allowing them to develop naturally.
    Many bright children can grow up in an “intellectually unbalanced way”, suffering lifelong negative health effects and even premature death, after being pushed into formal schooling too quickly, he said.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    Yep I agree. I was going to ignore this report for similar reasons. Unfortunately, someone will probably have it spouted at them so best to know where the comments are coming from and how to debunk them.

U
    U
    Good grief. They've got to stop pretending this study has any relevance to life today. This was SO LONG AGO when it comes to research on child outcomes. It's like--study shows that working in a textile mill/being a bootblack is bad for children!

S
    S
    This seems plausible. DD stayed at a play based pre-school until she was almost 6. She spent her days playing dress up and drawing and was as happy as could be. If she wanted to learn about dinosaurs or animals or whatever she could do that. On the whole, I would say school has made her rather miserable. If you have a naturally curious mind it is plausible that the earlier you are put in the educational system the more miserable you become.

C
    C
    My son started school early. He may not enjoy school but school isn't his life so he is learning to offset that negativity with the positivity in his life. If school made all kids that miserable to the point the couldn't ever bounce back then I wouldn't be ready to celebrate my ten year wedding anniversary with the most wonderful man I've ever met or advocating for my two happy healthy parent in a job I find stimulating and rewarding...so...I guess what I'm saying is that you are only as miserable as you allow yourself to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM