Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #211336 02/24/15 08:33 PM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    My 7 year old son will be taking the SCAT Thursday to see if he will qualify for CTY's online classes. Any experience with them?

B
    B
    My 12 year old son, who is homeschooled, has taken several CTY classes, and he has enjoyed them all. In particular, he loves their Arabic classes. (He wanted to learn another language and chose Arabic because he thought it looked beautiful and would present a significant challenge.) - I have heard, through this board and others, that you can get some of the same classes much cheaper through other communities. We've never explored this option, but it might be something to look into.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    What other communities? We are going to try to get financial aid, otherwise I don't think we could do it anyway..

B
    B
    There are some folks on this site that know a lot more than me about this subject...I am hoping they'll see this and either correct me or weigh-in...

It is my understanding that Stanford and Johns Hopkins both use EPGY as their underlying math program for gifted children. I've seen posts on this site that seem to indicate you can get a group of students together and purchase this same program at a reduced rate. Johns Hopkins uses Plato for their introductory science courses. I don't know if the same holds true for Stanford and whether or not they too can be bulk purchased???

Although not geared towards gifted kids, a website I also like is Homeschool Buyers Co-op. They have some amazing deals. Recently, my son took a Designing Mods for Minecraft by Youth Digital class through HBC and he loved it.

Perhaps you can tell the board what your child is most interested in and members can make recommendations???

T
    OP Offline
    T
    My son is interested in the CTYs middle school science courses as well as web design. I don't know if they will let him due to his young age. His scores were 98% verbal 99% math on the SCAT...

G
    G
    Science courses are Plato which can be had from the homeschool buyer's coop for much less. In general, "canned" courses that use material from other products are not worth the high price tag. Custom courses such as process of writing series or cryptography are excellent.

A
    A
    I just checked Plato at Homeschool Buyers Co-OP, and the science classes run $50 at 75% off.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    I can't tell which are canned or not. How do you know

G
    G
    If you look at the course demo or screen shots, you can usually tell. They use Plato for science, think well for science and math, and EPGY for math too, I think.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you! Kind of irritated, though, as they wont let him taking their web design courses because he's s young. Never mind that the prerequisite was completed fifth grade math and he is halfway through pre algebra...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM