Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    G
    Something we're encountering as the kids get into middle school ages is that camps where the kid needs to write just a sentence or two as to why they want to go is sufficient to make it so that the kids there actually want to be there. This has led to far superior experiences in our house - gifted program or not.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    Something we're encountering as the kids get into middle school ages is that camps where the kid needs to write just a sentence or two as to why they want to go is sufficient to make it so that the kids there actually want to be there. This has led to far superior experiences in our house - gifted program or not.

I also think there's a bit of a filtering effect as kids reach middle school due to parents realizing that when they are paying for camps, they might as well be paying for something their children are actually interested in instead of something the parents are interested in their children being interested in. Around 10-11 years old was the age my kids really started whining if they didn't want to attend certain camps I thought would be cool smile

polarbear

M
    M
    I am looking into AirCamp in Dayton OH. Does anyone have any experience with this camp. It looks pretty cool.

N
    N
    This should help. Lists several by state.

http://thecommonmom.com/summer-camps-for-gifted-kids-and-teens/

G
    GF2 Offline
    G
    SFrog and PolarBear -- my dc did the junior CTY residential camp after 6th grade (or maybe it was 5th). I am glad to hear that Intensive Studies is really high-level. Maybe the bifurcation (in older grades) into Intensive Studies and Academic Explorations helps the peer group issue. Thanks for clarifying. You've given me hope, although I don't know that I will be able to persuade dc to try again! :-)

Gf2,

Where was the course that your dc attended? I have my eye on the one at Lafayette College this summer for my dc. I want her to meet other kids like her I don't care about the classes themselves as much as the peer group. Are you saying that I really shouldn't bother? Are/were they really scraping the barrel to fill these, in your opinion?

Become what you are
    G
    GF2 Offline
    G
    Hi, madeinuk,

I can only speak to my dc's experience after 6th grade. Dc had scores in the CTY high honors range in verbal and math (I don't know what the CTY cutoff is, but dc had 95+percentile in both as a 6th grader on a test normed to 9th graders), and dc was excited about studying science with other smart kids. There were definitely some kids there that matched him or exceeded him in math ability, but there were also kids who, at least by their own report, had 60th percentile scores on the relevant tests. We were able to see the written work product of all the kids (posted on a website), and it was not impressive. CTY also let in a couple of 4th graders who had a hard time because they were so young -- and made it hard on those around them (not their fault, but they were needy and there wasn't all that much supervision -- just some very tired, though well-meaning college-age RAs, about one RA for 12 kids or so). So it wasn't the high point we had hoped. I know others have had better experiences. One issue, in retrospect, is that 11- and 12-year-olds may not be ready for sleepaway camp in college dorms with RA supervision. The RAs were kind and "cool" but clearly weren't parents -- they didn't "get" that you don't get to go to bed and shut your door at 11 if any of the kids are awake, homesick, crying, fighting, whatever! :-) So there was a "Lord of the Flies" dynamic at night that was hard too.

I
    I
    More Summer camps for gifted are being announced as the season draws near. This article by Carol Bainbridge on About.com provides several camp lists and thoughts about choosing a camp or Summer program.

I
    I
    The Neuroscience For Kids ( NFK ) newsletter has announced the " Bloomin' Brains " summer camp for middle school students for 2015. It is focused on neuroscience and botany.

J
    J
    Up until third grade, we really had very little options for local summer camps for the kids. They would go to the local YMCA or things like that. The local university would offer some science-oriented camps, which were so-so but all we could do.
    Starting in fourth grade, our local community college offers accelerated summer classes for children. My older child will do it again this summer for the third summer, and our younger one will do it for the first summer.
    They have to take an above grade level exam like SCAT to qualify.
    They have one-week classes for 5 weeks for the younger one; five week classes for the older one. They only go 9 am-noon, so you have to drive out to the community college in the middle of the day to pick them up; no day care!
    The younger one will take probably science and one math; the older one will take Algebra I and something else.
    The classes are expensive ($300 per week for each) but they are really well-done and the kids love them.
    Eventually, I think they will take some summer classes at Stanford, when they are in high school, to check that out.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM