Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    HID Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi everyone.

My DD is an HG+ 4th grader and I've struggled over the years to find her the appropriate learning environment in public schools. I was hoping that when she finally got to 3rd grade and could participate in our district's program for the Highly Gifted that things would be better. Unfortunately, the program has suffered over the years due to apathy and budget cuts.

Long story short, I am now involved in an advisory group working with the school district to restore the GATE program to what it once was when it was a model for the country. We have just set our top 3 priorities, #1 being what the "Seminar Program" (the program for HG+) will look like and who it will serve. The program originally served those kids who just could not be served even in the programs for MG. Over the years the program has been watered down and now a lot of these kids, like my own, are just withering.

So, what I am looking for is models from which to draw inspiration to design an exemplary program. Does anyone have experience or know of other programs that are successfully serving the HG+ population?

P
    P
    Most people I've talked to love the program our district has for HAG grades 3-5.
    I think this site put together by one of 3rd grade teachers gives a pretty good summation of what they strive for:

http://wsfcs.k12.nc.us/Page/21041

The classes are self contained and very project based with a lot of student interaction. They also include enhanced History/Geography studies and Spanish. The basic curriculum is also enhanced and gradually accelerated to around 2 years ahead of grade level. After school clubs include Lego Robotics and Chess.

Hope it helps with your research.

I
    I
    The Davidson Academy of Reno, Nevada comes to mind for middle school and up.

The book Exam Schools for high schools.

About a year ago, there was a thread brainstorming on the ideal educational setting.

The programs most successfully serving the HG+ population may be small independent/private schools for the gifted.

HID Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for the input, I'll look into those suggestions. I have also been doing some research into not only the structure of the classroom experience, but the structure of the program as a whole within the school district. I have looked into the programs in Chicago and New York City. Sometimes it's nice to see things that don't work as well too.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM