Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 59 of 268 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 267 268
    C
    C
    Lol, that'll teach him to boast!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    H
    H
    The first sign DS1 does every morning is "book." He can sit quietly in his crib for 10 mins "reading" while I get ready for work.

Oh, I love the "Genuis at Work" sign, that is just the sweetest. And I love hearing all these stories, I think it just goes to show how amazing kids are and in so many different ways.

My son, a huge Star Wards fan, when he was six, wrote a series of 3 books called "Attack of the Oompazhans." Oompazhans were a creature he made up that played a pivotal role in the battle of the Clones. He worked and worked on those books and I thought it was pretty great.

But a more recent proud moment came when one of the girls in his class, who struggles a bit, called him a "Math Machine." That part isn't so shocking, but the great thing was simply that he turned the compliment around and said "I'm pretty good in math, but you are an amazing draw-er." (apparently he isn't gifted in grammer ;), he meant artist). That made me feel pretty great.

O
    O
    Dottie- great on the algebra.

Here mine for the day. My DS9 loves monopoly. He had no one to play with so he just played two players. So, he was king of the money and all the land. If he lost he could still win. He just talked himself thru the whole game and had a great time. I call that adapting. It's a little cute and funny too.

Haha, that's brilliant, onthegomom. I bet he gave himself a great challenge too. wink

I just blogged about this and my blog is private, so I wanted to share it here;

My 4 year old blows me away sometimes, he is always throwing surprises out there.

He surprised me as a baby because he would smile at people when he was just a couple of months old. I remember one of the mums from my oldest sons school commenting on how he smiled so young and how he smiled every time she looked at him. I would have had to see it to believe it myself, but he really did and it was the cutest thing (and sometimes, it felt a little strange, because he seemed too young to be doing that).

This is the same kid who taught himself to read somewhere between the age of 2.5 and 3 and then one day, just decided to let the rest of the world in on it (much like his older brother).

Today he gave me another one of these nuggets that I'll have to relay to him one day. I was taking a bath in the master bathroom and he came bursting in (because, you know, nothing is sacred), holding a laptop. The laptops are cumbersome and heavy for him and consequently, he isn't allowed to carry them around, so I told him to go put it on my bed, to which he replied "but I want you to get me to Poptropica" (Poptropica is a web game that all my boys like), "I can't do that right now, my hands are wet and I don't want the laptop to get damaged". Off he went to put it on my bed.

A couple of minutes later, he comes back (he had obviously just opened the laptop, booted it up and opened a copy of Firefox) "how do you spell Poptropica?". I kind of giggled to myself at the hilarity of it all, here is my just turned 4 year old asking me how to spell something, so that he can type the URL into the address bar of the laptop that he has just booted up. It was amusing, since he is only four, but he seemed so self assured, that I decided to humor him. I began to spell it out; 'p', 'o', 'p'.... "I already did that part", he said (at this point I'm thinking, "really?"), "I just want to know how to make the 'trr'", (Ok, now I'm really impressed!), "ohh ok, it's 't', 'r'" I reply. He gets the information from me, turns around and heads back into the bedroom thanking me as he goes. As I relax back in the bath trying to comprehend what just happened, I hear "It worked!". I get out of the bath, head through to the bedroom and sure enough, he is sitting on my bed, playing Poptropica!

Total chin on floor moment, I had NO idea he knew how to open a copy of Firefox AND type in a URL AND spell. None at all, I mean, he JUST turned four years old in September!

I really need to watch this child more closely. crazy

C
    C
    Tofu, that's fantastic. And what a great "natural consequence" for him of his concentration and perseverance!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    T
    TMJ Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by tofu

Indeed you do, Tofu! smile

Your post reminded me of a funny/scary moment when my DS was a few months off his 3rd birthday. This particular day he asked to use the computer I told him he could only play for about 15 minutes as I needed to do some banking. When I came back into the office, DS ruefully informed me that he was sorry he couldn't help me more but he just couldn't remember the numbers. My attention was then drawn to the fact that he had my bank login page up, had correctly typed all characters of my customer number, and had entered most of the password! The latter apparently had stumped him because he was typing by memory of where my fingers went (touch typing)... Never a dull moment with these kids wink

Very proud of DS this week - He randomly decided that he wanted to learn to jump rope and... has practiced for an hour or more every afternoon! He has set a goal of 20 jumps in row without catching the rope and is determined to get there. DH and I are thrilled for our little perfectionist, as he is persevering with this and has not had one tantrum about it being too hard. It's been an absolute pleasure to watch and encourage his effort smile

Originally Posted by tofu
    Total chin on floor moment, I had NO idea he knew how to open a copy of Firefox AND type in a URL AND spell. None at all, I mean, he JUST turned four years old in September!

Really really closely tofu. Once, I found my then just turned five year old not only signed on the to computer without my knowledge but signed into my Ebay account (how did he get the pw???) and bidding on a video game! What impressed me (or terrified me) was that he was bidding competently. He told me "I just need to keep bidding one dollar more and then I am the winning bidder again." Needless to say computer security was heightened intensely - computer security from a five year old! Watch out tofu!!!! LOL

O
    O
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Algebra, what algebra? Holy cow Onthego, that was from page 1 (of 61, ROFL!!!) That was last year (no wonder I couldn't remember!)

oops. I thought I was commenting on the current post. Enjoy the flash back.

Last edited by onthegomom; 12/11/09 06:35 AM.
    O
    O
    My DS started the computer early too. When DD started I was surprized it wasn't as easy for her. Probally a year later, I realized she should of been using the mouse on the left side. LOL Oh well,she still does the computer mouse with her right hand despite being a lefty. That's good adapting.

Last edited by onthegomom; 12/11/09 06:50 AM.
    Page 59 of 268 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM