Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 58 of 268 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 267 268
    O
    O
    congrats! that's so exciting.

My dd9 joined a FLL team last Jan.

Today, they won the regional championship and have been invited to the World Festival in Atlanta.

This is such a neat group of kids.

T
    T
    just to chime in that I wish our children were closer since your son sounds like my DD3 and it would be great for her to have someone close to her age to talk with...

I remember last year whe she was two we were at the park and she ran into other children her age and said,"Lets sit down and have a conversation" and they all just stood there blankly.

J
    J
    I'm feeling most sheepish to be even writing in this thread, but I just can't help it! I'm overjoyed by Miss 8's school report. It's awesome. Quick reminder...

Last year, Miss 8 was languishing in year 2, mainly a C/B student and quickly gaining the reputation as a bit of a troublesome kid. Her teacher suggested we have her hearing tested, etc. And I know you know where that testing lead us...

Yesterday she got her year 4 report, mainly As (!) and some Bs (!) The only average grade was for writing, and that's certainly not surprising. But the real delight is that her effort (ranked rarely, sometimes, consistently, outstanding) has now clearly shifted away from rarely and sometimes, to mostly outstanding and consistent!!!

You never know if you're doing the right thing with acceleration, because the tangible feedback isn't immediate. But 12 months down the track, I can confidently say that we did the right thing. My child is thriving and the teacher says she is a joy to teach!!! What heaven!!!

Happy mum...

The cat is out of the bag. Mr W (23 mos) walked up to another kid in his current daycare, pointed at word on his shirt, and said the word.

I thought he was sight reading - this weekend he was looking at every sign in the mall and has been taking newspaper and magazines and looking at them. For instance, at the barber, he grabbed a "Car and driver" from the magazine rack, climbed up in a chair, and leafed through it. He counts things out loud now.

He is into much older kids. He had a sleepover recently with a 3.5 year old and they sat up until very late talking.

His eyes move so fast sometimes, I cannot track what he is looking at.

We found a Montessori school that will put him in with 3-5 year olds. He starts next month.

Last edited by Austin; 12/07/09 09:36 PM.
    H
    H
    Deep breath...Hi! I have only posted a couple of times and have mostly been lurking, but I am so excited tonight I need to tell somebody somewhere!

DD7 has been having issues with a neighbor-girl who is also a classmate and good friend. They have been arguing, and the other little girl has come off the bus in tears a few times. Her mom called this evening to "discuss" it, and how her DD is sensitive, and crying ("why is __ so mean to me?") Now DD can definitely be bossy (very bossy) but (granted I'm her mother) she doesn't seem malicious or mean, so I wasn't sure what exactly was going on. Another mother told me that her daughter has had problems w/ the other girl, too, and that my DD stood up for her DD.

DD told me that she gets so mad at this girl b/c she doesn't like the way she treats other kids ("and she's always mean to the kids who are shy, or just embarrassed b/c she's yelling at them!") So, whoa, that's quite different than what it looked like coming home off the bus...

More long story, but her teacher called tonight and said DD is a wonderful child. She confirmed the DD was being completely honest that she is standing up for other kids. Teacher described the other girl as a bully that gets upset when DD stands up to her. She said DD is strong-willed, and often her voice might be the loudest, and she can work on her tone, but her behavior and words are completely appropriate. I am SO PROUD of my girl for standing up for other kids! I am so proud of her honesty and integrity!

I received some more good news from the conversation: DD got into the gifted program!! Her teacher stressed that it was top secret as the official results have not been sent out yet(I guess it's ok on an "anonymous" forum, however ;))

I'm too proud to go to sleep.

Holly

Last edited by hhugh; 12/07/09 10:09 PM.
    Austin, it's been fascinating to 'see' Mr W growing up through your posts here.

Holly, you have a good kid!

W
    W
    Wolf just earned his yellow belt in his Little Dragons Class! He wanted this SO badly and he is SO proud.

D
    D
    I hunted around and couldn't find an "Ultimate Irony Thread," so I'm tossing this here.

My son, the speller of all spellers (at least in his little universe) has run into a mental block with one word recently.

He made this cute little sign for his desk:
    "Genuis at Work!"

I'm still laughing. He even doubted me when I called him on it. So I made him look it up in the dictionary. Poor guy.
    That'll be going into his "permanent record" at home, and will likely haunt him for years & years & years to come.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Page 58 of 268 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM