Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 248 of 268 1 2 246 247 248 249 250 267 268
    G
    G
    That's great, KJP! Congratulations!

I totally know what you mean about the super empathy, as my DS is like that. Kids, parents, young, old, NT or neuroatypical, he seems to get along with nearly everyone.

I
    I
    This is great! Such affirmation is hard to come by... be sure to keep the letters in a file or scrapbook or other safe place so he can enjoy them throughout life.

A
    A
    Occasionally I sneak DD8 out of school to do something more interesting. Yesterday I took her to a half-day chemistry/physics homeschool workshop aimed at 13-14 year olds (big thanks to the tutor for only being slightly dubious that DD could handle it). Although she hates being the smallest in the room, DD loved it. I was hovering and trying to over explain, but she shooed me away and enthusiastically got on with the business of calculating the densities of various materials all by herself laugh So cute
    There was a later class aimed at 16 year olds she was disappointed we weren't going to but I thought perhaps we'd save that one for next time smile

LAF Offline
    I'm not sure if this is really a brag, but I started relistening to my audio CDs of the book A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. It can be pretty complicated to listen to, but my DS10 actually followed it, and every time we get in the car he wants me to put it on now…

A
    A
    DD was in student council and awarded PE student of the month (1st grade). Towards the end of the year, I got the call from the principal stating that they wanted to do testing on her and then sit down and discuss next year with the principal, gifted teacher and her current teacher. She did great on testing (COGAT 144, 143, and 132). In MAPs testing she scored 217 for reading and 207 for math. Her math did not grow as much as it did in previous years, but it was because she was pursuing other passions like history (civil war, revolutionary war) and just reading anything she could get her hands on (she read the Little House series twice)

The teachers were amazed by her scores and she will get the opportunity to spend some quality time with the gifted teacher on math next year, she will likely be nominated for the special gifted classroom (top 1% of district) and they are likely to put her 2 best friends in her class next year because they are the closest to peers that she has.

Last edited by alicat; 07/22/15 12:42 PM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by LAF
    I'm not sure if this is really a brag, but I started relistening to my audio CDs of the book A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. It can be pretty complicated to listen to, but my DS10 actually followed it, and every time we get in the car he wants me to put it on now…

I just listened to this for the first time and our boys were enthralled! My younger son asked for it the other day and was sad to hear that it went back to the library. On the other hand, I was glad he wasn't in the car for the parts about asteroids possibly hitting earth, etc.

U
    U
    DD got a perfect score on some kind of standardized test and was the only student in her grade in the school to do so. Go, DD! Win us some scholarship money in a few years. wink

T
    T
    Fourth grade mania - this is when tracking decisions will be made in spring, grades really really count, and parents FREAK. Much ado about the latest LA test and questions a number of kids misunderstood. And a maths test. And...I realize that while these tests must be announced and other parents are making the kids study hard, anxiously keeping tally of grade point averages, I have no grasp of when they are taking place or when DS9 gets results back or even what those are and it appears, neither has DS9. I ask about the LA test. What LA test? Umm, the ones you must have gotten the results for earlier this week. Um, this week,a test? Oh yea, there was a test I guess. Well, what was your grade. Oh, an A. I get so many As, can't keep them straight.
    Well. There are benefits.

A
    A
    My DS6 recently got interested in the longest word in the English dictionary. He knows how it pronounces and how it's spelled. Just yesterday he started to write words starting with each letter of this word (Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis) to make up 45 new words. Crazy kid!

Our 8.5 year old DS got 660 at SAT math just this month. That's beating +/- 88% high school students. We are thrilled... but he was scoring above 700 at home so we were hoping for SET at JHU and will not get it. Still super proud of him for being able to take such a long and mature and rapid test. We asked him to sit through the English parts, which he did, and just focus on math. He came out of the testing room happy, relaxed, content, as if he had just had a time of his life. Now, we just need to make sure that his math teacher in 4th grade is content, as he is not following her instructions and provides answers without explanations of how he got there (4th grade level).

Page 248 of 268 1 2 246 247 248 249 250 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM