Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #209817 01/27/15 09:53 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Is anyone familiar with isip/istation testing for reading and math? I know that it is achievement testing and is used for progress monitoring as well as intervention. I'm mostly curious about it because my son scores significantly better on the isip reading than the STAR reading test. I'm wondering if it is an easier test, or maybe the norming groups are significantly different. He also does better on diebels testing than STAR.

Appleton #209871 01/28/15 03:46 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I am not, though your question prompted me to poke around a little. I will say, though, that
    1. Every test is different, so a certain amount of minor variation in standard scores is to be expected. Grade and age equivalents may vary even more (keeping in mind that they are not really good measures of progress at the best of times).
    2. There are multiple levels of ISIP, just as there are for many other tests. Do you know what level he was administered? I believe grade 4 begins a new test version.
    3. DIBELS is relatively limited in its scope, being focused more on decoding than comprehension. I can easily see scoring much better on DIBELS than STAR.

Technical Report from the publisher, on ISIP advanced reading (grades 4+):

http://www.istation.com/Content/downloads/studies/ar_technical_report.pdf

Last edited by aeh; 01/28/15 03:54 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Appleton #209878 01/28/15 08:01 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    He currently scores in the 98th percentile overall for reading. He is tested once or twice a month and it has ranged from 95th to 99th. The version he takes is isip early reading because he is in third grade. It will be interesting to see how his scores change next year when the program changes.

His teacher has told me that istation tells her that his scores correspond to a 5th grade reading level (this is consistent with what he reads). Strangely on the isip report it says that his lexile level is 1200, which has to be incorrect - that is way above 5th grade level, right?

STAR level one month ago was 4.4. Not sure what percentile that is, but I'm sure much lower than 98%ile. Dibels wpm is 165, 100% accuracy which is think is 95th percentile or so. It doesn't matter all that much because they don't restrict what he reads based on STAR level/range. I just find all of the data interesting, and wonder what it is that makes him do better on one test than another, especially when I have several data points.

His math istation was 99th percentile for both beginning and middle of year, though his score actually went down. I don't think he's had all that much growth in math this year, so I'm not terribly surprised by that.

I found the early reading version of what you posted above and 53% of the norming sample was from Texas. I'd guess that Texas averages are likely below the averages in a lot of other states, though I don't know the extent of the difference.

Appleton #209881 01/28/15 08:39 PM
    My 6yr. old 1st grader(2e aspie) uses istation for reading once a week. At the end of each month he gets a isip assessment score. He scores in the 99th percentile every time, except in letter knowledge in the 80's.I also notice his lexile score moves up or down. One month it is a 740 others a 705.

This link may be of some help to you.

http://www.istation.com/Content/downloads/studies/er_technical_report.pdf

Are you able to log into his istation account? Our school allows us to monitor the progress and growth reports.You can also access the books your child has read. I have a Chromebook and the book section is not available on a Chromebook yet so I have not been able to use that feature. I do have access to books in the resource area though.

I copied this for you from the resource area I have available.

Resources
    Your student is currently working in Cycle 12.

Istation Reading is organized into sequential cycles of reading instruction from Foundations to Reading Cycle 14. Your child is placed in the cycle that is appropriate for his or her learning based on his or her performance on the ISIP assessment.

Istation’s reading intervention includes reading instruction across grades. The instruction in a cycle does not focus on skills for a single grade level but is focused on the skills your child needs to improve reading growth.

Last edited by maisey; 01/28/15 08:42 PM.
    maisey #209885 01/28/15 10:47 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Yes, I can log in, and the data is nice. They even plot trend lines. The categories I see are overall reading, fluency, comprehension, spelling and vocabulary. My son doesn't actually use the program for anything more than progress monitoring. His teacher doesn't make the kids use the program unless they are below grade level I think, and my son doesn't really care for it, says it is "weird".

She actually prints out the data for them occasionally, which I thought was an interesting thing to do for 8-9 year old kids. His lexile level has been the same since the beginning of the school year, 1200. Maybe that is the max. I don't think it is very accurate.

Are you in Texas? The company is based here, I wonder if it is mostly used in this state.

Appleton #209886 01/28/15 10:53 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    I should also mention that he liked the istation math program, but is finished with it. The math part is new and is specific to grade, not ability. It is not very extensive at this point.

Appleton #211537 02/27/15 09:33 PM
    I'm in Florida. My son dislikes it too. He goes on it 30 a week and takes the tests.

I found this link. It links back to an Elem. school.

http://istationcaldwell.wikispaces.com/file/view/IStation+Grade+Level+Correlation%5B3%5D.pdf

It gives grade levels from scores in Overall Reading,Comprehension,Vocabulary, Spelling & Text Fluency.

Last edited by maisey; 02/27/15 09:41 PM.
    Appleton #211538 02/27/15 10:12 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks, that is interesting.

His most recent overall reading score is 287, which puts him at a 7.8 GL equivalent. Funny that his teacher told me that his scores are fifth grade level.

Fifth grade level is what I would actually estimate his abilities based on what he reads. He's not considered gifted in language arts, math is more of his thing.

I wonder if there is a similar chart to convert math scores to grade level. I think his score was around 2400 for that assessment.

Appleton #211541 02/27/15 10:26 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    From the top of the document you posted "The numbers are the minimum Tier 1 score for that GLE."

I'm not sure that they way they are doing it is correct because isip early reading only goes through third grade. How are they using minimum Tier 1 scores for GL equivalents above the end of third grade?

Appleton #211542 02/27/15 10:35 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    So, I found this:

Check out page 55, the grade level equivalents are lower, and correspond to end of fifth grade for my son's score.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM