Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    N
    N
    I'm a little confused about the math that the school offers. In plenty of schools (common from what I hear on this forum), a kid advanced to the highest middle school math course would be in Geometry. Pre-algebra is the "normal" advanced 6th grade course.

Our district does not give credit for HS classes taken in MS, but most kids have enough courses at the HS that they do not need to go to college courses. There are always some in HS that have finished all the math courses, so they attend a local college. We are lucky that there are three four-year colleges within a mile of the HS.

Are there other kids at his school like him (or at least kids ready to be advanced by a few years in a few subjects)? In our district, there are plenty of kids who could have skipped a year or two of school. Those kids are mostly bored in K-8. However, they deal with it, and having other kids like them makes it more bearable. Most parents of bright kids in our district agree that there aren't any challenging courses until HS.

Just keep doing what you are doing by supplementing at home, and get the kiddo involved in other activities. Our family likes sports, and my college kid still plays one sport competitively. If sports aren't his thing, it can be music, scouts, community projects, etc. Keep the kiddo busy.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    Blue magic, if middle math is integrated now, does that mean high school math will be, too?!
    Not necessary. The CA standards(*) state that districts/H.S. are allowed to choose either an integrated model (Math 1, Math 2, Math 3) or a traditional one. (Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2). I know of a county wide magnet school that offers both. The classes cover the same material but in a slightly different order. These courses assumes that you have taken Common Core 8 and already have some basic algebra & geometry to start. Basic trig is covered in this sequence. And common core standards only go through Algebra 2, although Algebra 2 includes some topics that used to be in Pre-Calculus. If you moved from a school that teachers one model to one that teacher the other there would be material missed.

The officially(*) approved way to accelerate kids is to offer 'compressed' courses and the details are left to the district. For example districts are looking at Grade 7/Grade8/Algebra 1(or Math 1) over 7th & 8th grade. It certainly helps if the junior high & H.S coordinate.

I've heard that some large districts in the state are going to insist that ALL students take the "grade level" course (ie.. all 9th graders take Algebra 1) no matter if they have previously taken the course or not. Not sure how long that will last.

(*) I'm framing this from the CA state standards because I basing this frorm CA state dept of education documents. I can't guarantee that they are options in other states.

Waaaah! Maybe we'll just hack school. If they can't even integrate math, there's no chance of high school science becoming integrated, is there?

(by this I mean studying each science alongside the others so you progress in biology at the same rate as in chemistry and in chemistry at the same rate as in physics).

N
    N
    My 11 year old 6th grader went from 5th grade math to Honors algebra 1 after passing a series of algebra readiness tests. She is doing just fine, and will take geometry in 7th grade.

N
    NGR Offline
    N
    MommaBear, your son may be ready to go straight into Algebra. I'm not sure it's wise skip Pre Algebra though. It's a tougher course than Algebra 1. Some high school students take Algebra 1 and Geometry concurrently or Geometry and Algebra 2 concurrently. The goal for a future scientist is to take Calculus in high school. It's best if he/she can get two years of it. That's why the whole Common Core movement is so frustrating. It's a top down approach. Some school districts offer Calc 3 and beyond in high school others don't offer Calc at all.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM