Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    GGG Offline
    G
    Tanagram puzzles might be something.
    The struggle with this age is that when the pieces don't fit easy or perfectly, it can be frustrating. My DS would cry about it. It's just part of the process. As others mentioned, those big floor puzzles are easier for little hands.
    If you aren't opposed to using a tablet, there are many puzzle apps that are free and perfect for early puzzle interest. The pieces can't move so the frustration is removed. Sometimes when my son just couldn't emotionally handle the frustrations of a physical puzzle but needed to work on one, I would use apps and I feel that it was very positive.
    As for looking ahead, you are likely correct in your thinking that school may not meet many of his needs. I started reading these forums and then finally asking questions about two years ago and I was in knots about it. Here we are, DS is just about to turn 4 and his preschool teachers are just as concerned as I am about his future in school. We still haven't decided where to go. It's a process.

M
    M
    My DD4.5 was into puzzles from 12m to 36m or so but these days, she is completely apathetic towards them. Slowly building your LEGO stash might be a better investment long-run if your DS isn't into putting little objects into his mouth.

As for schooling, my DD is going to start K next school year and everything is still up in the air. I'm leaning towards partial homeschooling. DD is doing a bit better at her current placement after a challenging month and if things stay okay, she could continue to attend her current nature-based, multiage program 3 days a week and also enroll at a charter school that support homeschooling families by offering enchainment like robotics, science field trips, art classes, etc. Given that DD easily becomes a behavioral problem unless she is constantly challenged, sending her to a regular private or public school isn't looking like a good option, at all.

G
    G
    Private school (preschool level or not) and whether it will work for your child or not really depends on the school, administration and the teachers that are there just the same as a public school. My son turns 5 in June (We're in Australia where the school year starts at the end of January) and did 1 term at a Montessori preschool (had just turned into a long day care with 2 rooms for ages 2-3.5 & 3.5 to school age and also allowed them to employ lower qualified staff). I wasnt overly impressed so we switched to a private Waldorf/Steiner school the next year. He spent the whole year there (the first half went quite well and he made a really good friend for nearly 2 terms who was a year younger - but then this friend started hitting etc as younger kids do and then DS wanted nothing to do with him). I felt like the last 2 terms he was trying to fit in with the other boys (being more physical and being silly). Looking back now the environment was totally under stimulating for him (he's mechanical in nature and not 'arty' at all).
    This year (which he actually qualifies to enter kindy as a 4.5yr old but his fine motor skills are behind so i wasnt comfortable with that) we have paid for him to go to a more elite private school (doesnt cost elite prices though we we're in a small rural university town) transition program (this is a semi play based, semi curriculum based pre-k program). The teacher is probably 45-50, loves her job and is connected with other early educators worldwide which is very obvious in her classroom. Her experience and age really play a role IMO in recognizing my DS's uniqueness and talents. At the start of the year she organized for DS to do LA with the kindy kids while her class does alphabet work and single letter sounds etc. While DS reads at more of a grade 2 level he doesnt tend to read at that level independently yet and still needs some phonics work behind him. He enjoys going to these lessons which is great. Other activities he gets in his classroom are music by an actual music teacher 3x/week, sensory gym 4x/week (like a kindergym program), swimming lessons 1x/week, learning to ride his bike 2x/week (they have a special purpose built bike track at the junior school). They also do some kind of literacy program, art and the rest is filled in with free play (in which the teachers work on special projects with the kids in areas they are interested in).

So far (he's only been going since end of Jan) he's been having a blast and seems to be doing extremely well. As he's the oldest in his class I wouldnt say he has many (if at all) 'true peers' but all the younger kids look up to him and seek his help out about many things as they realize how knowledgeable and helpful he is which really makes our DS feel good about himself.

I dont think we will have the same luck next year in kindy however as the teacher for that grade is quite young (under 30 and possibly more like 25, if i had to guess). She doesnt seem to have the experience with gifted kids and what that means.

B
    B
    My daughter has always been a good puzzle solver. She's freshly 4 and she can do a 100 piece puzzle. She LOVES these: http://magnatiles.com/ they're not really puzzles, but I think they encourage that kind of thinking. My in laws got her some at her third birthday and she'll build massive structures out of them. They're kind of pricey but they're a great toy for open ended play.

Ooh oops I see someone mentioned these as well. They really are great. smile

Z - 01/23/11 and O - 05/12/13
    H
    H
    Both my kids (and me) are puzzlers.

I would suggest Melissa and Doug wooden jigsaw puzzles as starters. IMO, wooden puzzles are easier to maneuver than floor puzzles for toddlers.

For older children, ravensburger puzzles are awesome.

E
    E
    These puzzles are definitely not for preschoolers, but they might be good for any kids who are getting cocky about their puzzle abilities. I solved the Jr. level one (seven pieces) in about two cumulative hours, spread over several days, but I have not managed to solve the "real" one (fourteen pieces) yet.

C
    C
    I'll second the Magna Tiles suggestion. We now have two sets, one for each boy. Older DS received a set for his second or third birthday and they have been a steady favorite. He's our main puzzler, was able to do 200-300 piece puzzles at age 3. Unlike some of the children mentioned in prior posts, he did enjoy doing the same puzzle again, usually a month or so later. The colorful Melissa & Doug ones were favorites.

Last edited by ConnectingDots; 02/24/15 07:26 AM.
    M
    M
    I found on ebay a brand (I can't remember which!!!) that sells 4 puzzles in a box, a 4p, 6p, 8p and 12p. when dd was about your boys age I gave them to her with photocopies of the puzzles and she would solve the puzzle by using the photocopy. She got the hang of how to put them together that way too. Also wooden puzzles that make shapes are a good idea.

I wouldn't worry about pre k at all. If you need daycare, try an in home provider that can tailor fun activities for your child. If that's not an option go play based.

N
    NowWhat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    The floor puzzle was a big hit but biggest hit of all was the marble thing. I finally had to hide it because I just couldn't play marbles anymore. I'll get it out again in a few days.

I plan to purchase either some magna tiles or magformers. DS has played with Magformers before at the science center and likes those. Is there an advantage to one type over the other? Magformers seem to be a lot cheaper which is always a plus.

Another big hit was a small pouch of Tegu blocks. They stay in the diaper bag and only come out at restaurants but they were an excellent purchase. My son will stay focused on them for a long time.

DS has recently been pointing out letters on everything. I have avoided buying magnetic letters because I felt like that was "hot housing" but when my son started pointing out the letters in GRACO on his high chair it gave me "mom guilt" so I decided the kid needed some letters. smile It seems like all of a sudden he is aware of letters everywhere and words in books. I think I'm crazy but I swear he is starting to sight read some familiar words, like dig. Is that even possible? I feel crazy for even saying that out loud.

E
    E
    My DS knew all his letters (both written and in sign language) by that age. He was reading at 3. It's definitely possible.

(Get ready for, "Mom did you stop? That sign says 'stop'!")

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM