Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    F
    F
    At first, he often "misplaced" his worksheet by the time he got home, so we'd make a photocopy for him, as conveniently, his twin sister brought home the same daily worksheet.
    Ha! As a twin myself this made me crack up.
    However - and I'm pretty sure I'm just weird like this - I always get messed up by my habits, in a way. In middle school I decided I would practice my musical instrument at 7:00 every night, whether I needed to or not, and then found myself practically incapable of practicing at, say, 6:45. Actually, I always had to practice at a "round" number: if I missed 7:00 I had to wait till 7:15 or at least 7:05....Nobody in my family does this, though, so I guess it WAS just me.
    Either way, forming the habits early is important, but I'd say 20 or 30 minutes tops is plenty enough.

U
    U
    My first grader does harder/differentiated work in the classroom but gets the "regular" HW with everyone else (although she doesn't send home sight words for him). I don't mind, because it takes him 10 minutes tops.

I don't afterschool my kids. I used to do it a little, but they just spend so much time in school, and they need time for all the other stuff. Sometimes, I think I'm being dumb. But we do provide a ton of non-schooly enrichment...stacks of books, hours of board games, drawing instruction books, cool science and building toys. We have a strict screentime limit, so they find a lot of things to do. (Note: screentime rules are different if they're doing something creative.)

A
    A
    Originally Posted by amylou
    For our family, hw in 4th-5th grade was all about establishing a routine of recognizing and fulfilling expectations. For ds (now in 9th grade) especially, who has a certain, um, rigidity in his mindset, I believe this was a really important. The hw consisted of a half page math worksheet. Every. Single. Day. It took 5-10 minutes to do, tops.

Originally Posted by Can2K
    That sounds like a useful routine. Was the worksheet something the teacher gave all the kids, or something special for your DS? Was it the teacher's idea, or yours?

The short worksheets were the teacher's idea. She had a repository of them - I forget the source. It was a 4th-5th class and our kids got the hw all through 4th and most of 5th, until she ran out of them. I suspect (but don't know) that at least most of the kids got some math hw, but I would guess the worksheets were different for different kids. (It is a long story, but for a variety of reasons, that was the one case where we experienced a classroom where in class differentiation worked -- I would guess there were kids from the 1st %ile to the 99th+ %ile in math achievement.)

P
    P
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    My first grader does harder/differentiated work in the classroom but gets the "regular" HW with everyone else (although she doesn't send home sight words for him). I don't mind, because it takes him 10 minutes tops.

I don't afterschool my kids. I used to do it a little, but they just spend so much time in school, and they need time for all the other stuff. Sometimes, I think I'm being dumb. But we do provide a ton of non-schooly enrichment...stacks of books, hours of board games, drawing instruction books, cool science and building toys. We have a strict screentime limit, so they find a lot of things to do. (Note: screentime rules are different if they're doing something creative.)
    If your child is getting differentiated work in class that is harder rather than more you shouldn't need to after school. Mine aren't so I do.

U
    U
    Well, his teacher does what she can. It's a little scattershot. Basically, she's doing her best not to have him die of boredom, so he gets other projects, books to read (he doesn't do the easy readers) and activities, but it's not a planned, intense curriculum or anything.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM