Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    S
    You might order a copy of "A Nation Deceived" to take with you and give them. It's free! Good luck.

Grinity - can we go to the school you're talking about? LOL. I mentioned to the teacher about why they don't schedule the subjects together to make it easier for kids to be accelerated. I got the deer in the headlights look. In K, DS's reading instruction was coordinated w/ 2 other teachers. Well, you can imagine with no schedule synchronization, how hard it was to get the 3boys together and which teacher would do the reading group? So my son got reading instruction about once/month compared to the other kids 1-2/week.

There are some/many/several schools that do this. It must have some downside,but I can't really imagine what it is compared to the benifit.
    I'm glad that I'm at the point where I can explain it as though it were no big deal...

Dazy - Sadly, that better than 'below readiness' instruction twice a week! Still no fair!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by kickball
    grinity: in the end how much weight to you give the social end if you have a HG/PG kid even if they are on the lower end of the class in terms of maturity (but not below all in class) - long-term most research seems to green light it (of course i worry about the 2% it doesn't).

I think a lot depends on the personality of the kid. If they aren't that happy socially to begin with, or they are just starting out and don't have friends to lose, then I weight social less. I don't think it's really possible to measure maturity in anyone - ((Have you been watching Baby Bowwers Lately, or any TV, really?)) - particularly difficult to measure maturity in HG and beyond kids. ((shrug)) It's a dice toss.

Grimity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by squirt
    You might order a copy of "A Nation Deceived" to take with you and give them. It's free! Good luck.

You can download a copy too. Just google up nation deceived.

W
    W
    I think your point about showing up with solutions is the key. I think you can convince them of the need, but you have to respect the resources they have available.

My friend undertook a whole GT program for her children but that meant, planning the curriculum, the staffing, doing the fundraising. And it that was just for some pull out classes and projects.

Hence, I would look at the industry around you and see what kind of fundraising and support you might get there for pull out classes. Also, look at any museums or universities that might help with programs.

good luck,
    Ren

M
    Mombot Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi all - thank you so much for the discussion on this topic. My friend and I met with the superintendent and asst. super. and while we were given some good suggestions, it didn't quite go as I had envisioned it would. In the end, the super. gave us his spiel about how gifted kids are not the priority because there are so few of them and so gifted programming is not in the top tier of his priority list $$$ wise, though he has plans to have teachers trained in differentiation esp. with the new math curricula being piloted. He actually put it back on us and said all he could suggest right now is going back to our own school and finding teachers who would be willing to work and train us (parents, skilled community members) to provide mentoring opportunities to GT kids.

My motivation to advocate was significantly deflated after that meeting. I think the super. and asst. super definitely do have the needs of GT kids on their radar, but their hands are tied because of the economy, funding, other issues in the district that apparently are more pressing.

I need to go back and re-read all the suggestions here and hopefully that will give me some much needed inspiration and motivation.

M
    Mombot Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Wren - wow, is your friend here on this board? I'd love to hear/read about how she went about doing all that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM