Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #21078 07/24/08 03:50 AM
    M
    Mombot Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I live in a state where gifted programming is not mandated and while I know of some schools in the state that do offer such programs for high ability learners, ours does not. frown

Another parent and I will be meeting with the superintendent and asst. superintendent next week and the focus of our discussion will be on parental involvement and GT issues. I'm nervous about it, having never done anything like this before, but I'm willing to give it a go.

I've done quite a bit of reading, have a lot of info at my fingertips, but would like a bit of support and ideas on what to focus on re: GT issues. Basically, my thought is that stressing the need for opportunities for high ability learners at the elementary school level especially will take center stage. But I've been trying to figure out solutions or ideas we can offer to help support the school to address the needs of GT students. When my daughter entered K at this school, we heard many times over that nothing re: GT programming was available, but that there was so much more in the way of enrichment opportunities waiting for her in middle school. That's hardly consolation of any kind! All of her teachers, including the principal, acknowledge my dd's abilities, but nothing is done. We suggested a grade-skip, but the team decided against it at school, citing concern over my dd's ability to fit in with older kids and the effect that might have on her social-emotional development. The teachers are already stretched so thin trying to bring achievement scores up, that students like my dd are left to languish. My friend's dd was grade skipped, but she still feels like her dd's needs aren't being met either. We know we're not the only ones whose children are in this position.

Can anyone else here offer advice on what we as parents can offer as solutions to the problem re: lack of opportunities for GT students? I think we're all set on presenting problems, but in my experience, more credence is given to our arguments when we can offer solutions as well.

K
    K
    Keep the six stock issues in mind for the case you are making:

Harm (impact on gt kids academic/socially)
    Signficance (figure out given the # in district that need served - for goodness sake round up)
    Inherency (problems are typically structural or attitudinal - be prepared to address or knock down both)
    Solvency (solutions must solve some aspect of your problem - be prepared to hear worksheet solutions that don't solve your problems)
    Workability this is where you can be friendly and firm - there are a lot of modifications or mini-solutions that won't cost them money - that are workable. Be prepared for the time, money, talent, case from the district for any suggestion.
    Advantages/Disadvantages You gotta sell some carrots and sticks.

There are probably some old debaters out there wetting their pants remembering this stuff.

You probably have all the research. I think the biggest risk is getting side tracked by them or by your own emotions.

On the grade skipping thing - be sure to have/read Nation Deceived even our state ed dept recommends it.

IMHO. Have as much working knowledge of your state's assessment language - how is the school being measured - it'll matter to them. Also, as a fall back you've got NCLB there is a section that talks of challenging students at their level. Although I think this group has already said it doesn't get you far with gt.

Go to the Davidson's press kit link - some good basics to leave with them maybe. Also, go to Ruf's site. I'll try to get you the link or google Ruf Educational Options. There is an online presentation that addresses needs. And some other swift cut looks at gt.

Know what any other local district is doing - that helps. Be prepared for any 'oh but we are that big, we have less money, etc'.

Im sure you've got the basics down - compacting, telescoping, dual enrollment, grade skipping, online courses (which i don't see why aren't great for little ones too), tutors, etc.

You got it down, I'm sure by your post. I pray less for your prep then I do for you not being side-tracked into conversations that don't move your case forward - and keep emotions in check (I cannot believe it but sometimes the thought of my kid being a bored weirdo in the room makes me weep).

GOOD LUCK!

You have to get the book "Re-forming Gifted Education." I learned alot in that book about ALL the different options and available and which ones work for different types of gifted kids.

Kickball: Loved your post!!!!

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 07/24/08 06:17 AM.
    M
    Mombot Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you so much, Kickball and Dazed - great advice!

you might find some good ideas on this site (blog by teacher of GT). good luck!
    http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/unwrapping_the_gifted/

Wow! Way to go, kickball! Great post! We should all print this out and keep it for our own use with advocacy efforts.

Kudos! smile

Nothing much to add to that. Just stay focused, and be prepared for the red herrings they'll want to throw out into the discussion. For example, I would argue that the "social development" thing is pretty much a red herring for the grade skipping. It's a way to scare you out of asking for what your child needs without any real evidence.

To that end I would second reading "A Nation Deceived" and looking into the Iowa Acceleration Scale to see if your daughter is a good candidate. You may decide she's not, and that's great, but I think it's preferable that the decision be based on evidence and reasonable analysis, not just fear of some nebulous social problems that are NOT the norm for grade-skipped kids.

Kriston
    This site has some powerpoints available:

http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/

F
    F
    Kickball:

I've printed out your post to use as a crib sheet for the meeting I'm preparing for in two-three weeks. Thanks for the organized thinking.

Hi Mombot - Welcome - good for you for working for change!

I guess what I'm wondering is - what changes would you like to see happen.

Here's what I would want on "No Budget, but unlimited good will": it seems reasonable to place each child at their readiness level, and for each child to have a few intellectual peers in their classroom. So if you ask for a few cluster grouping 4 or 5 kids who are strong in a particular area for K-5, that is something that doesn't cost a dime. Sorting the kids into readiness levels for reading and math helps all the kids, not just the brightest ones. Also - Zero cost, just have to play with the schedule and the teacher's minds.

Subject Acceleration - For the brightest kids who don't have anyone in their grade at their readiness level, then cross grade grouping for reading and math is ideal. This requires coordinating the schedules of the classrooms who have the gifted clusters. Example: The strongest readers are placed in Mrs. P's Kindergarden class who have reading from 9:00am to 9:30am. The strongest readers in the first grade are placed in Mr. J's class, and the strongest readers in 2nd grade are in Miss L's class. Mr. J and Miss L agree to teach reading from 9:00 to 9:30 am also. One of the kindergardeners and two of the first graders go to Miss L's 2nd grade class for reading. Two of the Kindergardeners go to Mr. J's class for reading. No one has to do reading with their homeroom if they are doing reading in another class. No one has to miss a party or a hands on demo to get taught at their readiness level. No one has to do homework below their readiness level to qualify for the chance to learn something new.

The Math is treated similarly. That way if one of the kids from Kindergarden does eventually skip to first grade, because after getting to know the children it's clear that the socio-emotional needs are better served there - and that Mr. J 'clicks' with the child, then the child can change to a full skip with little fanfare. By the time September rolls around, the now 2nd grader may need further subject acceleration in Math and Reading, but can stay with the 2nd graders for the rest of the day. This kind of 'Dual Citizenship' is worthwhile if the teachers are supportive. That is a big IF, and some cash made availible for teacher training in the subject of Gifted Ed might help. Perhaps a neighboring school system that does have a gifted program might let some of your teacher attend their classes to save more money. Carefully choosing the teachers who are given the cluster groups in the first place will be very helpful.

BTW - none of this has to be talked about in terms of giftedness. The school can simply send home a letter asking the parents if the think their child is ready for more difficult Math and reading then what their child is currently getting, and the school will check and see if their child is currently being taught at their correct readiness level or if they need a change. If the school wants to get fancy, they could provide space for the parent to give examples of why they think so. That would discourage most folks right off the bat.

The big steriotype is that every parent wants harder work for their child. I have not found this to be the case.

Hope this helps,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    K
    I ordered the re-forming gt after a previous post... cannot wait should be here in days... am optimistic is may have some real options for us. HS won't work for me and other books focus on the perfect options but with no self contained available what's a girl to do.

grinity: in the end how much weight to you give the social end if you have a HG/PG kid even if they are on the lower end of the class in terms of maturity (but not below all in class) - long-term most research seems to green light it (of course i worry about the 2% it doesn't).

I love the line in Ruf's about a mom who prepared in volume to meet with school so they wouldn't know more than her only to find out that wasn't very hard. but again... i'm not saying that's the case in all places.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM