Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 151 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    No great suggestions, but a lot of sympathy! My ds14 is also someone who struggles most with creative writing (had an IEP for expressive language in middle school). I was happy when he was assigned a 9th grade English teacher known for being very tough, but also producing good results and helping the students learn to write. Then, the teacher's wife was diagnosed with cancer. Obviously, I feel terrible for his family and understand the resulting absences/delays in grading, etc... BUT, it's so hard when it affects my child! And because the teacher misses intermittently, he is replaced with random subs. frown I completely understand the situation and realize that there isn't much to be done, but I wish the situation were different (not to mention, it's hard when the grading is just as tough, even though there isn't as much teaching/guiding). It much be incredibly frustrating for you, given that you had high hopes for these hand-selected teachers!!

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by indigo
    DS think the story had a good ending even though it's a sad one and doesn't see why it needs any embellishment.
    Possibly great authors would agree with him. Some courses may try to promote a different writing style and it can be a challenge to write in the prescribed manner or for a particular audience.
    What I tell DS is that the teacher are trying to teach you to write and giving you prompts. You don't have to love the prompt and you don't even have to believe what you write is the correct or best answer. In this situation the ending just needs to logically follow on from the ending, be set in the right time period and be written well. He very much wants what he is writing to be 'correct', the right answer or truthful and that can get in the way. Particularly when teachers give personal prompts. It's why things like science & math where there is usually one correct answer is so much easier for him.

What gets frustrating with new teachers is they don't get how DS writes well when he has something to say. But be completely blocked and write nothing another time. They assume all they need to do is be the 'one' who shows him how to use a graphic organizer and that's all he needs. Or that since he has problems writing he needs help on grammar. DS would not make it as a journalism but would be an excellent editor.

Last edited by bluemagic; 02/13/15 10:14 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM